belgium wit question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My last beer was a wheat that i bottled out of the primary after ten days and it came out great. I have a wit that has been in the primary for four days should I transfer it to a secondary after a week or let it sit in the primary for another six days and bottle it? Thanks. brm

No real need for a secondary on a wheat. I'd let it rip for at least 10 days in primary. Don't forget, if you leave it in primary a little longer you give the yeasties a chance to clean up after themselves.

I am now drinking a Belgium Wit. Bottled it after 13 days in the Primary. It tastes great.

Consensus here no secondary for wheats I think is good, unless you want a very clear wheat, then I would do the secondary.

Related question, how long do you let it bottle condition before you drink? Standard 3 weeks? Or just until it carbs?

i just did my first wheat last night and put it in the primary pale,if there is not a real need for a secondary is it good to leave it for 2 weeks in the primary pale that long?

then bottle for 3 weeks and enjoy:ban:

less chance of it getting infected or air in it if i dont have move it between frementers

Lenny

Filter said:
i just did my first wheat last night and put it in the primary pale,if there is not a real need for a secondary is it good to leave it for 2 weeks in the primary pale that long?

That's fine, I usually say 10 days but 2 weeks is just as good.

Be sure to take a couple SG readings to make sure the fermentation is done (most likely will be) so you don't end up with bottle bombs.

Wheats can be drunk as soon as they are carbed. At least, that's what the rule of thumb is, but I'm sure others will disagree. Might as well try one every week until you like them. :D

I made a Summer Adams Summer Ale clone and kept it in the primary for 10 days and then bottled. I took one bottle out after a week and it was carbed and tasted pretty damn good. Very drinkable after a week of carbing. After 3 weeks, man this is good stuff.

Back