Belgians and why my US-05 beer tastes like them

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SKYY

Reaction score
I brewed a medium strength blonde ale a few weeks ago. It was literally all exctract: 3lbs of hopped DME, 2lbs extra light DME, 2lbs of fresh Breiss Pilsen LME, 2 oz of hops, and I pitched dry yeast (US-05). I let it sit in the bucket for 9 days, and went straight to bottles.

After a week of being bottled, I decided to chill and try one just now.

This American blonde tastes exactly like Leffe.

Can anyone explain why this could be? I have very strict sanitization standards. More importantly, how can I reproduce this in the future?! I'm considering keeping the yeast alive... It's currently fermenting a heavy stout, which I imagine will have similar spicy notes.

:D:mug:

what was the fermentation temp? What was the OG and FG? Your primary time makes me raise my eyebrows... But, nine days in primary might be ok provided fermentation was complete and you gave the yeast a chance to clean up. It could also be too soon - did you check final gravity a couple of times a day or 2 apart? I would also think that a week in the bottles is probably too soon.(I am a kegger though so I'm no expert in bottling). To summarize, you may have a few things going on:
1) high fermentation temp
2) too short of fermentation time
3) too short of bottle conditioning time

what was the fermentation temp? What was the OG and FG? Your primary time makes me raise my eyebrows... But, nine days in primary might be ok provided fermentation was complete and you gave the yeast a chance to clean up. It could also be too soon - did you check final gravity a couple of times a day or 2 apart? I would also think that a week in the bottles is probably too soon.(I am a kegger though so I'm no expert in bottling). To summarize, you may have a few things going on:
1) high fermentation temp
2) too short of fermentation time
3) too short of bottle conditioning time

My guess is too high of a fermentation temp. If that in fact was the case I'd put money that his fermentation was done within 3 - 4 days. I've used us-05 a lot (brewed over 150 batches last year)

If it reminds you of a Belgian ale you're probably trying to troubleshoot either unwanted esters (fruity flavors) or phenolics (spicy/clove but can go toward medicinal or bandaid flavors). Esters could be from low pitch rates or high fermentation temps as mentioned. Phenolics can be from wild yeast but also from chlorinated water - what water are you using and do you know if it contains chlorine or chloramines?

If by Belgian you mean it has a phenolic flavor, then I'm pretty sure US-05 is Phenol Off Flavor negative (POF-) so I'd suspect a major infection or chloramines if it tastes as phenolic as a Belgian yeast strain.

What are "strict sanitation standards"?

My guess is too high of a fermentation temp. If that in fact was the case I'd put money that his fermentation was done within 3 - 4 days. I've used us-05 a lot (brewed over 150 batches last year)

Here I thought I brewed a lot.

:ban:

Yeah holy cow, I missed that. What kind of doc are you that you have time to brew every couple days? :)

Edit: ah now I see, beer doctor
:mug:

Sounds like stressed yeast.

You said you pitched US-05. Just 1 packet? Did you rehydrate?

What was the fermentation temperature? How did you control it?

How did you aerate?

I'm guessing you underpitched, underaerated, and/or didn't rehydrate. Any one of those flaws could explain at least a little Belgian character.

Back