Belgian ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inkslinger82

Reaction score
I have a couple of Belgians nearing completion....a triple and a golden strong. I know I am supposed to bottle condition them but since I got the keg setup its so damn tempting to keg it instead of bottle it. Anybody every try kegging one of these? If so...how did it come out?

You can condition in a keg as well as you can in the bottle. Conditioning is just allowing time and the remaining yeast do there thing.

GT

Just let it 'condition' in a long secondary? Then keg it?

This won't allow you save a bottle or three for a year or more to see how it ages, but other than that I don't see a drawback. If you are going to refrigerate and drink the beer anyway, then the yeast probably isn't going to do much when its cold/dormant anyway.

I definitely wouldn't try to keg it after only a 2 week primary and 2 week secondary or something though. Not sure your definition of 'near completion'. I'd probably let it age a good 2 months - 4 week primary, 4 week secondary - before I kegged it. Want to make sure the yeast has done all its going to do for you since that is the critical piece of this belgian-style puzzle...

I had both in the primary for 4 weeks...then im on my 4th week on the secondary. Im gonna give it another 2 weeks in the secondary before I do anything. I suppose if its ok to keg I can always bottle a couple to put away for a long time....then keg the rest! Thanks for the help guys.

inkslinger82 said:
I had both in the primary for 4 weeks...then im on my 4th week on the secondary. Im gonna give it another 2 weeks in the secondary before I do anything. I suppose if its ok to keg I can always bottle a couple to put away for a long time....then keg the rest! Thanks for the help guys.

Sounds like its been in there for a decent time... a 4 week primary and 6 week secondary sounds like the yeast will have contributed most of what it will contribute. Keg that up and, if you like, bottle a 6-pack with carb tabs. That's what I normally will do...

RoaringBrewer said:
I definitely wouldn't try to keg it after only a 2 week primary and 2 week secondary or something though. Not sure your definition of 'near completion'. I'd probably let it age a good 2 months - 4 week primary, 4 week secondary - before I kegged it. Want to make sure the yeast has done all its going to do for you since that is the critical piece of this belgian-style puzzle...

It can condition in the keg as well. I am going to bottle a dubbel tonight and it's only been in the primary 4 weeks.

Back