Belgian yeast for non-belgian styles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdogg

Reaction score
I just bottled a very light belgian ale with Wyeast 1214 belgian abbey ale. it was a light straw color, very dry, and a slight banana flavor. the recipe included:
8 lbs castle pilsner malt
1 lb table sugar
.75 oz styrian goldings @ 60
.25 oz styrian goldings @ 15

mash at 149F for 80 min.

OG around 1.04 (broke hydrometer the day before).

after looking at the recipe, it occurred to me that i basically brewed a lite lager, but with belgian ale yeast. i may try the same recipe with S-05 to see what the difference is.

also, i have heard of imperial stouts using belgian ale yeast, and i have the washed cake of wyeast 1214 sitting in my fridge. does anyone have suggestions on other styles that could be fun to try with belgian yeast?

Brew an IPA with it, bet it comes out nice. Really, the beautiful fact of it is that this is all experimentation. Homebrew is what you make it.

Cheers!

No you brewed a lite Belgian blond:drunk:

by the numbers (og, srm and ibu) its a little light to be called a belgian pale. arent belgian blondes supposed to be stronger too? forgive my ignorance, i know very little about these styles.

by the numbers (og, srm and ibu) its a little light to be called a belgian pale. arent belgian blondes supposed to be stronger too? forgive my ignorance, i know very little about these styles.

Yeah the gravity is too low for Belgian Blonde, hence he called it a lite. I guess technically it would fall under 16E. Belgian Specialty Ale.

if you dont want to do another belgian style, barleywines and imperial stouts do well with the yeast. can also use it to start off a sour/brett batch too.

I'm going to be brewing 10 gal of the Stone IPA clone. I'm going to use a Belgian strain I have from the Tripel I recently made on 5 gal of it to get something close to Stones Cali-Belgique.

IPAs, stouts, Belgo-American pale ales, browns, ambers, wee-heavies -- and of course the whole universe of Belgian ales themselves. You have a lot of options, my friend. :mug:

I'm a big fan of the Belgian IPA personally. I've also done american ambers fermented with belgian yeast and they all came out good.

Back