Belgian Yeast Dilemma, a good one.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulHilgeman

Reaction score
I recently bought a a smack-pack of Wyeast 3787 with the intent of doing 1L Starter -> Patersbier -> Dubbel. For my birthday, my wife went ahead and got me a smack-pack of Wyeast 3739 Flanders Golden Ale.

I like to re-pitch my belgians to build up the cell counts, but will end up with a crazy amount of belgian beers if I do this with both.

Any advice on what great beers can be made from each yeast? I was thinking of a saison style with the 3739 with some wheat, honey and maybe some spices. Then pitching a tripel on top of that.

I guess this still gives me 20g of belgian beers, but I guess thats OK!

Any other suggestions on what to do with these yeasts? Should I swap the dubbel/trippel yeasts?

Thanks,

For me, saisons are pretty much defined by their unique yeast character, so I wouldn't call anything made with a non-saison yeast a saison. The patersbier -> dubbel sounds nice. What about a belgian pale ale -> golden strong with the 3739?

Thats why I said 'saison-like' ":) Probably a petite saison, a little lactic acid in the kettle to give it some tartness, oats, wheat and some spices to give it complexity, mash low for dryness. It will just be a different take on the belgian table beer, but I can *think* of it as a saison. I'd call it a saison in the same regard that Hennepin is called a saison :)

Latest posts

Back