Belgian with Kveik yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gvhorwitz

Reaction score
I am planning on brewing a Belgian with my son. I have the Belgian yeast that came with the kit. But it’s hot as the devil here right now, and I have no means to make sure the beer brews at the proper temperature.

Do any of you folks have an idea what would happen if I used a kveik (Norwegian farmhouse) yeast such as offered by Imperial Yeast or Omega Yeast? I’m thinking of this because this strain can work excellently in high temperatures.

Omega offers one called hothead. Apparently it works well with English ales, they offer to others as well, called Hornindal and Voss

And ideas if this is going to change my beer too much?

Thanks,
Greg

Link below:
https://omegayeast.com/norwegian-kveik-strains-the-history-unique-aspects-and-our-strains

I am planning on brewing a Belgian with my son. I have the Belgian yeast that came with the kit. But it’s hot as the devil here right now, and I have no means to make sure the beer brews at the proper temperature.

Do any of you folks have an idea what would happen if I used a kveik (Norwegian farmhouse) yeast such as offered by Imperial Yeast or Omega Yeast? I’m thinking of this because this strain can work excellently in high temperatures.

Omega offers one called hothead. Apparently it works well with English ales, they offer to others as well, called Hornindal and Voss

And ideas if this is going to change my beer too much?

Thanks,
Greg

Link below:
https://omegayeast.com/norwegian-kveik-strains-the-history-unique-aspects-and-our-strains

Belgian beers are all about yeast character and Kveik apparently has none, or at least not the right kind.

Do you have a basement?

How hot is hot? I had really good results with 3726 in a basement that stayed at about 85 °F ambient temperature. As @RPIScotty said, with the kveik you won't get any of the yeast character that makes a Belgian, Belgian.

Kveik will make a good beer just not to style. I'm one who tends to go against the grain so I saw to brew on.

I've been using hothead all summer and its been awesome. I've gone as high as 90 degrees with nice flavor and no headaches. Lol

Kveik will make a good beer just not to style. I'm one who tends to go against the grain so I saw to brew on.

I've been using hothead all summer and its been awesome. I've gone as high as 90 degrees with nice flavor and no headaches. Lol

I’m pretty excited to brew with it. I have an all grain IPA waiting in the wings, I try it on that. I’ll just use the Belgian yeast that I got with the Hoegaarden kit, and stick it in an appropriately temperament adjusted kegorator.
Thanks for the input.

Greg

Back