belgian witbier help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1620HBC

Reaction score
I planned on brewing the Belgian Witbier from Brewers Bible page 221 but seems when i put the order in i not only forgot stuff but i got the wrong ingrediants too!

Recipe Calls for:

8 ounce flaked oats- got that
4pounds wheat extract-got 3.15lbs
3lbs LME- got 3.15 lbs
2 ounces hallertauer hops- I got 1 oz cascades and 1 oz saaz
.5 orange peel- i totally forgot
1 ounce coriander- got it
wyeast 3944-got it

So what would you guys do??

Which hops ?how much and when?

Thinking of peeling an orange since i forgot the peel..how much and when?

I don't know what you're going to do with the flaked oats in an extract recipe....you really need to do a mini mash or AG recipe to get any covnertible starches out of them. That being said, if you steep them you will end up with unconvertible proteins and starches in there which will enhance the body somewhat. nothing to lose from steeping them, at any rate.

hops, I would use the cascade for bittering and the saaz, maybe just .5 oz at 10 minutes for aroma personally....

orange peel. I've never used that dried crap at the lhbs...get a variety of citrus fruits and grate them lightly for their zest, 1-2oz of it, then add at the end of the boil along with the lightly crushed coriander seed. classic wit spicing....

Back