Belgian Wit Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gabe

It's a sickness!
Reaction score
Planning my next beer and want to make a belgian wit. I havn't brewed a belgian since my very first brew 2 years ago. I need to know the basics as ferment temp?, where my OG should lie ?, wether or not too secondary ?, thing's of that nature. I also am looking for a simple AG recipe. FWIW I do 10 gal batches , so let me know if I just double it up.

Cheers and thanks :mug:

If you go to WhiteLabs website (www.whitelabs.com) they have a couple of great charts that will tell you everything about anything you want to know about Belgians.

I can tell you this though... Definately secondary your belgians for a couple of weeks or months if you can. It's really worth the wait.

5gB

I brewed an incredible Belgian Wit using Wyeast 3944 (Belgian Wit "smackpack"). I'd recommend this route if you have an LHBS that sells the Wyeast smackpacks - it's all I use anymore. The feedback from this recipe is great - I've been told it's the best beer I've ever brewed. (I'm still using extract - I have a hard time justifying the extra equipment and time when I'm making great beer with extract)

Ferment at normal ale temps: 65-70.

USE A CARBOY with a blowoff tube. I used my normal plastic bucket w/ airlock as a primary and was VERY sorry... it made a big mess. Apparently, Belgian strains, particularly Wyeast's 3944 is a VERY aggressive strain. Again - BLOWOFF TUBE IS A MUST!!

Also - Belgian Wits do NOT need a secondary... it won't hurt them, but you can rack them after 10 days in a primary - according to both Wyeasts instructions and my own experience. Since they're only very lightly hopped and use a wheat malt the flavors don't require much maturation. I'm about done with my Belgian Wit keg and will be using the same recipe. I'd be happy to send it to you if you'd like to give it a try.

Andy

Check the AHS Blue Moon recipe under my name. I've made it several times and it's one of my favorites. Ferment at 70-75, double the recipe for 10 gals (and use 2x the yeast). No need to secondary. The recipe gives the rest of the info you're looking for.

Cheers :mug:

I just brewed one. If you're going the unmalted wheat route, assume a much lower efficiency, even with a protein rest. I normally get around 78%, and got 65% with the Wit (which is what I planned for anyways.)

-D

Thanks for the advise and links guys. I want to add spices but not to much----I really don't like spiced brew. I was wondering if the orange peel can be purchased at my local grocer ? What is the reason for sweet and bitter peel ? and what spice is traditionaly in a belg wit ?
Cheers, Gabe

whole coriander seed, (cracked) and orange peel are the traditional adjuncts for a wit. I've only used dried orange peel from the LHBS, and less than an ounce works just fine. This isnt a particuarly hoppy beer, so you're going to get a lot of citrus character from the orange peel. The coriander isn't up front, and doesn't dominate. If you used too much, it'll settle out.

good luck!

mike

If you really want a clone of Blue Moon you'll need to add some crystal to get the color and flavor. I added one pound of crystal 10L. The color is dead on Blue Moon side by side and it adds the sweetness of Blue Moon. If you want a traditional Wit, do not add the crystal. Also, Mt. Hood or other "Noble" style will work best and not fight the flavor of the spices.

Simple AG Recipe - I'm drinking this now and it's extremely close to Blue Moon.
5lb Wheat Malt
5lb Belgian 2-row
1lb Crystal 10L
.5 lb flaked oats
.5lb rice hulls
Mash at 152°
1 lb flaked wheat in the brew pot up to 170°

15 IBU Mt. Hood hops at 60 Min
.5 oz crushed corriander at 5 min
1.5 whole Clemantine orange peels scored

Belgian Wit Yeast - Blow off tube!!!
10 days primary - no secondary