Belgian Wit questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TurboBrew

Reaction score
The gravity of my belgian wit is now at 1.010 at 72F. So with reasonable confidence, I can say that it's done fermenting. I know you're supposed to drink hefeweizens young and clarity isn't an issue with a wit but considering the coriander and the orange peel, should I age it? And if so, should I keep it in the primary or in the secondary? Or should I just slap this b**** in the keg and start drinking it. It already tastes pretty good :mug:

Just looking for some feedback from those with more experience than I.

DSC01403.JPG

Turned out beautifully. Perfect color. Nice white head that stays though the entire beer. Too much coriander though. :( Still very drinkable. Thanks for the advice flyangler.
Gotta love those Widmer glasses

p.s. Yes I took this photo this morning, 8:30 to be exact and yes I drank it. Breakfast of champions :mug:

I dont have the recipe in front of me (it's in my brewlog at home) but I believe it was a full ounce. Since 1oz appears to be the norm, I believe the problem may have been that I crushed them to much. It's not overpowering but its more of a solid taste than a hint.

Edit: What do yall use to crush coriander?

For a fine powder an old not-for-coffee coffee grinder (or new for $12), for more coarse the edge of a sautee pan (looks awkward but works wonders for those of us that don't have a mortar) and the good old throw the seeds into a plastic vegetable grocery bag and lightly hit it with a small sauce pan, then pour out.

I usually only use about a 1/4 of an ounce and I put it in a baggie and smack the crap out of it with the flat side of a meat tenderizer.

Im getting ready to brew a wheat tonight. I was going to use a rolling pin to crack the corriander, sound reasonable?

Back