Belgian Wit = Parmesan?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shamrock

Reaction score
Yesterday, I went to a local brewpub for the first time. I tried the seasonal Belgian Wit. It smelled and tasted strongly of Parmesan cheese. It was awful.

Could this be right? Or was something wrong with the beer? I've only tried a few Wits, and none of them tasted anything like this.

The bartender was completely clueless and unhelpful, which was very disappointing. Her exact words were, "Whatever it tastes like, that's what it should taste like." LOL thanks! It was clear that she had never even tasted the beer or possibly any of the beers and didn't care to. Weird.

I'm no beer expert, but this stuff didn't taste right to me.

Any thoughts?

That is what I was thinking - some kind of infection. I mean, cheese = mold, right? I wonder if it is just in the line, or if it has worked its way back in to the holding tank... ewww.

I sent it back as I was pretty sure something was wrong.

Honestly I didn't like any of the beer they were brewing there and I tried almost all of them. The Wit was the only one that was clearly out of bounds, but if I had to guess I would say that they are having problems across the board at this place which is a shame. The worst part was the apparent apathy of the bartender though. That sealed the deal for me - I'll never go back.

I can contrast this with spending the day at Flying Dog where although some were not my cup of tea, none of the beer tasted bad. I even enjoyed a glass of Flying Dog's Double Pale Ale (90 IBU GOOD LORD) and I'm not a hop-head at all.

Yes, I was planning on it. I just wanted to double check here first to make sure I wasn't crazy.

Thanks all for the input! Love HBT!

Back