Belgian Wit Help Please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhatsOnTap

Reaction score
Hey all,

I was wondering if you guys could help me formulate a recipe for a Wit beer that resembles Blue Moon. I'm limited to using dry wheat extract 3.3 lbs and going to fill in the rest with DME. I have candi sugar but I'm not sure if wit beer calls for it. I also want to use either Saaz or Hallertau hops for bittering and finish with orange peel and coriander but other than that I am at a loss. If you guys have advice or a recipe, I could use it!

Thanks,

WOT

I heard they are a simple recipe... I'll do a search and post what I think will work and we can do it that way I guess. Thanks!

Here's my tentative recipe, lemme know what you think...

Wit Beer

3.3 pounds Dry Wheat Malt Extract
3 pounds Extra Lite DME
1 pound of clear belgian candi sugar

1 ounce Hallertauer (60 min)
0.5 ounces Saaz (30 min)

.5 ounces of bitter orange peel (2 min)
.75 ounces of corriander seed (2 min)

1 pkg of white labs wit yeast

0.75 cups of corn sugar (priming)

I am going to do a beer in this style this coming weekend also. I have a question regarding the coriander - what is the best way to use it? Should I dump it into the boil whole, crush it lightly, grind it completely, etc.?

Also . . . how does a Sam Adams White Ale (clone) recipe compare. It seems like SA's version has less orange flavor and a bit more coriander. Anyone done a SA White Ale clone?

I'm drinking a belgian wit now that's in its prime. I used 1oz each of the coriander and bitter orange peel-both put in at flameout and allowed to steep for 20 minutes. When I make it again I'll use 1/2 oz each. This batch is good but just a little to spiced.

Your recipe will work out fine though. Crush your coriander.

homebrewer_99 said:
Sounds good, but I'd put the peels in for a longer period.

Seems like 15 minutes is the most common boil time for the orange peel and coriander. Recipes with more intense orange peel and coriander flavor add more at 5 minutes (or less).

This was my schedule for my wit for the orange peel/corriander (crushed). Seems like a nice balance as well.

[FONT=verdana,helvetica,arial]1.00 Tsp [/FONT][FONT=verdana,helvetica,arial]Corriander Seed[/FONT] [FONT=verdana,helvetica,arial]15 Min.(boil)[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,helvetica,arial]0.50 Oz [/FONT][FONT=verdana,helvetica,arial]Bitter Orange Peel[/FONT] [FONT=verdana,helvetica,arial]15 Min.(boil)[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,helvetica,arial]1.00 Tsp [/FONT][FONT=verdana,helvetica,arial]Corriander Seed[/FONT] [FONT=verdana,helvetica,arial]1 Min.(boil)[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,helvetica,arial]0.25 Oz [/FONT][FONT=verdana,helvetica,arial]Bitter Orange Peel[/FONT] [FONT=verdana,helvetica,arial]Spice[/FONT] [FONT=verdana,helvetica,arial]1 Min.(boil)[/FONT]

Great info guys. There are so many recipes out there and lots of varying opinions on how much spice to add that it can get overwhelming. Seems like .5-.75 oz coriander and that much bitter orange should do the trick, along with some adjusted boil times. I'm excited to see how this one comes together. What are the aging times on a Wit? I was planning on a week in the primary, a week in the secondary (don't need a clarifyer, do I?) and however long in the keg before drinking. I heard wheat beer is better fresh??? :confused:

WOT

I've only done two wit's and both took 5-6 weeks to complete from 1.051 OG. 1-2 weeks in the primary to get to about 1.022 and 4-5 weeks to get to 1.008 eventually. 68 degree ferments. WLP400 Belgium Wit yeast. It took forever but your driving experience may vary. The yeast is key for the beer; what you using?

SWMBO really likes blue moon and was the reason I made this as well. End results are different but yours will be more true to style. If you can find a real wit from a store give it a taste to know what your really going to be closer to. After tasting mine, bottles from the region and a micro brewery that I tried it at once, Blue moon is americanized IMO. I was proud of my results after tasting theres (similar).

Edit - no clarifiers.

desertBrew said:
I've only done two wit's and both took 5-6 weeks to complete from 1.051 OG. 1-2 weeks in the primary to get to about 1.022 and 4-5 weeks to get to 1.008 eventually. 68 degree ferments. WLP400 Belgium Wit yeast. It took forever but your driving experience may vary. The yeast is key for the beer; what you using?

SWMBO really likes blue moon and was the reason I made this as well. End results are different but yours will be more true to style. If you can find a real wit from a store give it a taste to know what your really going to be closer to. After tasting mine, bottles from the region and a micro brewery that I tried it at once, Blue moon is americanized IMO. I was proud of my results after tasting theres (similar).

Edit - no clarifiers.

desertBrew,

I'm using whatever yeast I can get my hands on, I guess... I just went down to the LHBS and they had Kolsch yeast, lager yeast, and wine yeasts, then the usual selection of Nottingham and Red Star. It would be lame to use Nottingham, because as you mentioned, the yeast is crucial in this style. What would you guys recommend?

As far as ferment time, WOW, I guess I won't have to worry about drinking it while it's still cold out. Never know, but I'll pray for the best and prepare for the worst...in the meantime I'll relax, have a HB and a commercial wit other than Blue Moon and see what I'm in for...

OK, as promised earlier in the day: I have to tell you that I am not the author of either of these recipes. However, I have made one mixing this and that, but I also added Ginger (which I really like, but I'll take MaryAnn when it's raining outside):

Blue Moon Ale Clone

5 lbs. Extra Light DME
2½ lbs. Orange Blossom Honey
1 oz. Hallertauer pellet hops (4½% - boil 45 minutes)
½ oz. Hallertauer whole hops (2.4% - steep 10 minutes)
1 oz. Coriander Seed (crushed - ½ boil 10 min, ½ steep 10 minutes)
1 oz. Orange Peel (zested fresh and dried, steep 10 minutes)
500 ml Wyeast #1214 Belgian Abbey yeast starter

Specifics:
Recipe type: Extract
Batch Size: 5 Gallons
SG: 1.059
FG: 1.010
Time in Boil: 45 minutes
Primary Fermentation: 7 days
Secondary Fermentation: 9 days

Blue Moon - Belgian Wit
Recently a lot of people have been requesting information on belgian wit and Blue moon brewing clones so....

This recipe is Dr. Keith Villa's 5 gal recipe for belgian wit (He is the head brewer at Blue moon brewing)

5 Lbs 2-Row pale malt
2.75 Lbs unmalted white wheat
1 Lbs rolled oats
1 oz Hallertauer
.25 oz Saaz
.5 oz Bitter orange peel
1.25 oz ground coriander

WYEAST 3944 witbeer
1 cup Corn sugar to prime

mash in at 42'C for 20 min. raise to 50'C for 25 min. raise to 75'C for 10 min. and mash out. Lauter, sparge, drain. Boil 15 min, then add Hallertauer. Boil for 60 min then add Saaz. Boil 10 min then add coriander and orange peel. Boil for 5 more min and then cool.

90 min boil
75 min hallertauer
15 min saaz
5 min Coriander and orange peel

this is up next in my life - not 100% in the style but.......

6 lbs ultra-light liquid malt extract
2.5 Lbs 2-row
1 lbs Wheat, Flaked
1 lbs Oats, Flaked
1.00 oz Hallertauer [4.80%] (60 min)
1.00 oz Saaz [4.00%] (5 min)
1.00 oz Coriander Seed crushed (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
1.00 oz Orange Peel, Bitter and sweet mixed (Boil 5.0 min) Misc

I'm trying SAF Ale T-58 Yeast (Estery, spicy & peppery flavors in wheats and specialty ales, very solid sediment) instead of White Labs #WLP400

Back