Belgian white with cloves?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewPounder

Reaction score
First time posting, would like to say hello to everyone.

I'm new to brewing and so far I've only brewed one kit to completion and I currently have one fermenting right now.

I have an idea for a future recepie I'd like to try involving Belgian candy sugars, wheat LME, wheat DME, not sure what types of hops yet, and cloves. I had heard that less is more when it comes to cloves as they can be over powering. I was thinking of doing a primary fermentation then putting a teaspoon of ground cloves in a grain bag and filtering the beer through it into a carboy thus starting a secondary. Any thoughts?

As I'm envisioning this happening, it's not the way I would go about it. I would use fresh, split cloves and likely wouldn't bother with the grain bag or filtering technique.

why the secondary and not during the lat 5 min of the boil? (I agree that less is more... with just about every 'flavoring' for beer)

I like the convinience of adding at the end of the boil, however, I was kinda wondering if cloves would work the same as with dry hopping. I was considering the filtering technique as a means to just add a hint of clove flavor. I fear that if I were to just drop the cloves in I could end up with an overpowering clovey mess.

Back