Belgian Wheat Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mesa512

Reaction score
Hey guys my next batch that I am going to do is going to be a Belgian Wheat.

It's actually a kit:

Belgian Wit Beer Kit

In the description it says flavored with orange peel and coriander. I feel whenever I make a home brew I would like to put my own little touch on it.

The idea that I am having is to season the beer with some lemon and orange flavoring. How would you guys go about this? Would you use the peel of the fruits or would you go about it another way? Also how much would I need? When do I incorporate it into my brew?

Thanks a lot

Some lemon zest would give an interesting twist on it.

Another idea is to experiment with spices. Bitter orange peel and coriander are the spices without which Witbier would only be a bland wheat beer. But adding different spices make for interesting flavors. Try paradise seed and/or star anise. Me, I like paradise seed. Heck, I've also used a touch of rosemary!

Have fun experimenting!

Bob

You need the bitterness of the curacao peel to make the wit taste. Lemon or fresh orange would push it back in the hefeweizen/summer beer direction to me.

The Allagash White extract clone that their head brewer posted has some ideas for varying the spices up to make it your own. I like the above poster's idea of grains of paradise, too.

EDIT: here's the Allagash recipe:

http://www.brewingkb.com/recipes/Allagash-White-1811.html

1 pinch "secret spice" (flameout) "secret spice" (anise, cinnamon, vanilla, pepper, or ginger) your choice

do you feel it would be okay to add lemon/orange zest and some spices. If so how much would I need of each? Thanks

do you feel it would be okay to add lemon/orange zest and some spices. If so how much would I need of each? Thanks

I think it wouldn't work. But I think wits are great winter beers, so my opinion is certainly not standard. I think ginger or cloves are great additions to a winter wit.

If you're trying to push for more of a summery weizen thing, some citrus zest would be an okay start I suppose--but I'd just urge you to consider any of a hefe/dunkel/kristalweizen before trying to press a wit into that kind of service, because wits are really more at the spicy end of the wheat spectrum. If you want citrus, head for weizens.

Ok then, since I am new to the hobby and forum I will take your word. You have never steered me wrong so far.

My main goal is to make a summer beer. Summer is coming up really soon and I think it would be nice to just sit back and relax with a nice summer brew. Now everyone keeps saying that hefeweizen is a good summer beer.

Can you guys post me a link to a site where I can order a summer hefeweizen kit. (keep in mind I have only done one brew so far so I am not that advanced)

Thanks

Cheaper to make your own kit.

1/2lb. each 2-row, cara-pils, and flaked wheat steeped at 155 for 30 minutes to an hour if you can hold the temp. Five lbs. wheat DME with one lb. added at the beginning of the boil and the other four with 15 minutes left. One oz. Hallertau, Mt. Hood, Tettnanger, Saaz, or my favorite, Strisselspalt added at the beginning of the boil and with 20 minutes left. I call my hefe with this hop "Fo Strissel my Nizzle".

The most important thing for a hefe is the yeast. I use WLP300 at 68 degrees. Let it ferment for two weeks undisturbed. Do a search here for yeast washing because you'll want to save yourself the $6 on the next batch. Bottle as normal and let them sit for two more weeks. After that get ready to fight yourself and guests off. This stuff is quick and easy to make and everyone seems to like it.

Back