Belgian Tripel Score Sheet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ksut1547

Reaction score
I just got back the results from a Belgian Tripel entered into a competition. I'm not complaining about the score(30.5), I know it wasn't perfect. My main issue is with some of the comments. Both score sheets mentioned a lack of alcohol taste. One judge even checked the Solvent box on the left side and wrote "missing" next to it. Looking at the BJCP guidelines, "High alcohol content adds a pleasant creaminess but little to no obvious warming sensation." Is this indicative of a blind spot in the judging process? One of the great things about drinking this style, IMO, is knowing the ABV and appreciating the sneakiness.

One even went so far as to tell me the beer was under attenuated. If the judge doesn't have access to the specs of the beer, why is he commenting on this. By the way, the O.G. was 1.077 and F.G. was 1.004. Beersmith comes up with Apparent Attenuation of 94.4%. So I'm sure that is not a problem here.

I would love to hear any comments, particularly from certified judges with some experience.

Thanks in advance!

Sounds like you may have just gotten a judge or two who weren't overly familiar with the style. That happens, especially in smaller competitions. Were these judges ranked? Lower ranks *can* indicate a lack of tasting experience (though this is certainly not a universal truth, as it can take a while to "rank up" past Certified). Even judges with a lot of tasting experience sometimes draw the "short straw" and ends up judging a style that they are not as familiar with.

The "under attenuated" comment is based on perception, not knowledge of the beer specs. I've had many a sub-1.005 beer that gave the perception of sweetness and a fuller body (this is especially common in saisons, where the yeast can play a big role in adding body).

Basically, it sounds like you were hard done by. That happens. I've entered the same beer in different comps on the same weekend and gotten wildly varying scores and comments (one beer scored a 29 and a 42, and I've had others with smaller splits). The best thing that you can do to help change this is to become a judge yourself (if you aren't already).

Thanks for the reply.

As far as the judges ranks, one marked apprentice and the other marked national.

Like I said, I'm not looking for anyone to give this beer a better score without tasting it. I'm ok with the score, it's just the comments seem strange.

Back