Belgian Tripel recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxoldo

Reaction score
My first post :)

Please help me to figure out this recipe, I already have these hops, do I need to substitue them with something else or not? I think hops are not as important in Belgian beers as the right yeast strain. Is this correct?
Also, I want this beer to be strong ~10% ABV
5 gallon:
12 lb LME(Pilsner or Light)
0.5lb Cara-pils
1oz Cascade - 5.5% -60 min
1oz Willamette - 4.7% - 15 min
1oz Willamette - 4.7% - 5 min
Wyeast 3787 Trappist HG
or
WLP500 (high frutty flavor) WLP530 (low frutty flavor) or WLP540 (medium frutty flavor)

Thank you :mug:

Welcome to the forums. I just brewed a Belgian Tripel yesterday and now it's fermenting so much that I had to put a blow off tube on it. I brewed the Final Absolution Clone listed in the recipe database. It called for Hallertau, Sterling, and Saaz hops,

Your recipe looks good, the only thing I didn't see was Belgian candy sugar.

Most of the Belgian recipes have a hefty dose of candy sugar in them. The one I brewed for example called for 1.5 lbs dark candy sugar. Most I have seen will have 1-1.5 lbs. Some people will brew it with more to increase the ABV.

The yeast will be your preference far as the flavor you're looking for. I used WLP500 for mine which right now is smelling very fruity. I used 550 for the Abbey Blond and that turned out well also.

You'll definitely want to use some sugar in this one if you're using that much extract. Brew like a monk suggests 10-20% of your total bill to be sugar, so I'd cut back the 12lbs of extract (use pilsner) to 10lb and use 2lb of table sugar. It might be a good idea to brew the recipe without the sugar at first, then add the sugar (boiled in water first, of course) to the fermenter once the primary fermentation has stopped so that the yeast consumes the malt first and doesn't crap out on you. The sugar will boost the gravity, but more importantly, it will help to lighten up the body considerably.

As for the hops, you typically want a noble hop....styrian goldings should fit the bill just fine.

As for the yeast, I don't have a ton of experience discerning the differences between all of the belgian strains...but any of those should be fine I would imagine. Maybe someone else can chime in on that one :)

Oops, forgot the sugar. I don't think there is a huge difference between Candy sugar or regular table sugar, correct me if I'm wrong. Stopped by my LHBS to pick-up grains. So, here is the modified recipe:

10 lbs Briess Pilsner LME
2 lbs White sugar(cane)
0.5lb Carapils
0.5lb Belgian Caramel Crystal
WLP500

Sounds good or do I still need different hops(Hallertau, Sterling, Saaz, Styrian Goldings or others)? Also, will I get ~10% with this amount of fermentables?

Yeast is king in Belgian beers and that's where the bulk of your flavor is coming from. The hop profile in a Belgian is typically minimal, and when there is character it's more noble in character than west coast.

That being said. I love the WLP500, but like the Wyeast 3522 more. It has the fruitiness with a bit more spice.

I would switch out that cascade for something else. While you won't get a lot of flavor out of it from that early of an addition, you will still get some.

So I would go strait Willamette as it's character is more floral/spicy/earthy and less citrusy.

2oz. 60 min.
1oz. 15 min.

That will get you in your IBU range and not impart too much hop flavor/aroma.

Oops, forgot the sugar. I don't think there is a huge difference between Candy sugar or regular table sugar, correct me if I'm wrong. Stopped by my LHBS to pick-up grains. So, here is the modified recipe:

10 lbs Briess Pilsner LME
2 lbs White sugar(cane)
0.5lb Carapils
0.5lb Belgian Caramel Crystal
WLP500

Sounds good or do I still need different hops(Hallertau, Sterling, Saaz, Styrian Goldings or others)? Also, will I get ~10% with this amount of fermentables?

Cascade and Willamette aren't traditional, but Belgians aren't strict about tradition. Still, if you haven't bought the Willamette yet, I might swap those. The bittering hops won't have a significant effect on the flavor.

I have seen several recipes for Tripels that use two or three pounds of honey in addition to the use of Belgian candi sugar. That would help mask the high alcohol flavor a bit more and add some extra sugar to really ensure that the yeast has a rigorous fermentation.

Good luck! I'm sure it will turn out well. = )

I have been on a real Belgian kick lately...I love that funky yeast flavor!!! Sipping on one of my Saccharomyces' Belgian Pale now, just snuck an early sample of my Devil's Punchbowl Strong Golden :mug:

The 550 is definitely more spice and phenols, less fruit. I like it, some don't, comes down to personal preference. I like really dry beers and not a big fan of sweet. In Belgians balancing the esters with the phenols is key. Pitch low (62-64), and allow temps to rise SLOWLY over several days into the low 70's. Then let it go...high 70s low 80s even, but a slow, controlled temp increase is important to get the most out of your yeast. I had a Belgian actively ferment for 11-12 days!!! If it gets out of control early and you try to bring it down then the yeast might just crap out and go to sleep on you!

Sugar will definitely help to dry it out. You can add it to the boil or wait until 3-4 days in as fermentation slows then boil, cool, and add to the fermenter...step back as it will take off again as the yeastie beasties find new grub!!! Beet or cane is fine for a tripel, but if you do a Dubbel or strong dark check this thread out...https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/be...2/20-lb-sugar-jar-yeast-nutrient-114837/...or spring for the Dark Candi stuff @ $6+ a pound. The rock candy is really no better than table sugar, so save your money. Real Belgian candi sugar is in syrup form and can add some great rummy, raisin, caramel depth to a brew.

Finally, your hops choices are not traditional, but it's a Belgian so what the hell! I'm sure it will be great. As mentioned above, the Cascade will really be for bittering and the Willamette has more spicy less citrusy character anyway. It is also the first listed substitute for Styrian Goldings which IS the traditional choice (http://www.brew365.com/hop_substitution_chart.php)...go for it and let us know how it turns out!!!

If it's not already in your library check out Brew Like a Monk by Stan Hieronymous...awesome read if you are interested in Belgians.

Welcome to your new obsession :mug:

Thanks for all your suggestions here!

I got an idea but don't know how it's gonna turn out...
I have a 5 gal batch of Breferm Diabolo(LME kit with some mods) brewing right now, what if I use the yeast cake from that batch? It was a dry yeast pack, not sure exactly what kind but Breferm is a Belgian company, I guess they know what to include in their kits, also the smell from the airlock is great!!! Maybe someone has an idea what kind of yeast is that? Or maybe I will just stick to the plan and get the 550?

And yes, it's is an obsession!!! :mug:

Do I need to add Irish moss at the time of boiling? Any updates on that Brewferm's dry yeast?

Irish moss isn't essential. Some people say it works for clarifying, others do not. So it's your call.

Belgian dry yeasts don't have great reputations. Do you know how that Brewferm kit turned out? The quantity of yeast would be correct by reusing it from that batch.

I was looking everywhere for some info on that yeast without any luck. One guy sent a request to Brewferm about that yeast and reply was pretty generic:"In every beerkit the same yeast is used, namely a reugular Saccharomyces cerevisiae, top fermenting universal use."
The Diabolo batch is still bubbling, I guess it will take not less than a month to fully develop. I didn't want to wait and was thinking of grabbing a samle from the bottom of fermenter and maybe make a starter with it, then make a new batch of Triple. Is it even possible?

I was looking everywhere for some info on that yeast without any luck. One guy sent a request to Brewferm about that yeast and reply was pretty generic:"In every beerkit the same yeast is used, namely a reugular Saccharomyces cerevisiae, top fermenting universal use."
The Diabolo batch is still bubbling, I guess it will take not less than a month to fully develop. I didn't want to wait and was thinking of grabbing a samle from the bottom of fermenter and maybe make a starter with it, then make a new batch of Triple. Is it even possible?

I would use fresh liquid yeast from Wyeast or White Labs if the dry yeast used in the other batch is in question at all. $6-7 bucks is worth it for brewing a great beer.

Making brewferm triple kit, didn't have any candy sug so I used 50/50 amber dme/dextrose. Any problems foreseen?

Making brewferm triple kit, didn't have any candy sug so I used 50/50 amber dme/dextrose. Any problems foreseen?

DME is not 100% fermentable so you will see a gravity boost but perhaps not the dryness you would get with straight sugar. Despite the fact that using table sugar has reached boogey man status in the homebrew community, that is exactly what most brewers and breweries use. The fear of adding a cider twang to your beer is only realistic if you exceed 20% of your total fermentables. All you are looking for is a dry finish, high attenuation, and a little more alcohol. Table sugar or corn sugar will get you that. Use what is cheapest.

That "Belgian" rock candy stuff is just fancy table sugar that costs to damn much! Check SnickASaurusRex's homemade candi syrup thread or use the light DarkCandi product actually imported from Belgium if you want something other than table sugar. I used Snick's sugar #5 in my Dubbel and it smelled awesome in the kettle, is STILL bubbling away 10 days later (WLP 550 is a beast if you treat her right :rockin:), and it was cheap and fun to make.

Brew on and let us know how it turns out :mug:

Sweet you say? Darn it. Well I added 250g dme,250 dex the rest was malt from the can. Didn't have table sugar. Hope I get away with it. Anyway starter worked. What a difference 5h makes. House is like a sauna to hit 25c brew temp. Here still subarctic.

image-2739096558.jpg

image-1503914148.jpg

I just brewed a Belgian Tripel yesterday and now it's fermenting so much that I had to put a blow off tube on it. I brewed the Final Absolution Clone listed in the recipe database.

Fantastic choice!!! Final Absolution is made by Dragonmead Brewery, and it just a few miles from my house. They have some amazingly delicious brews, and Final Absolution is one of the most popular. simply a delicious tripel

DME is not 100% fermentable so you will see a gravity boost but perhaps not the dryness you would get with straight sugar. Despite the fact that using table sugar has reached boogey man status in the homebrew community, that is exactly what most brewers and breweries use. The fear of adding a cider twang to your beer is only realistic if you exceed 20% of your total fermentables. All you are looking for is a dry finish, high attenuation, and a little more alcohol. Table sugar or corn sugar will get you that. Use what is cheapest.

That "Belgian" rock candy stuff is just fancy table sugar that costs to damn much! Check SnickASaurusRex's homemade candi syrup thread or use the light DarkCandi product actually imported from Belgium if you want something other than table sugar. I used Snick's sugar #5 in my Dubbel and it smelled awesome in the kettle, is STILL bubbling away 10 days later (WLP 550 is a beast if you treat her right :rockin:), and it was cheap and fun to make.

Brew on and let us know how it turns out :mug:
Please correct me if I'm wrong as I am by no means a authority on sugars but I was always taught that Belgian candy sugar which is an invert sugar ie. 1lb table sugar add water make slurry bring to boil add lemon juice or some form of citric acid which breaks down the sugar into a converted more easily used form of energy for our yeast so they don't get tired too quickly.

Back