Belgian Tripel Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neuron555

Reaction score
I want to make a Belgian Tripel for this winter and had wonderful Gouden Carolus Tripel down in DC that was a life altering event. I've looked at a number of recipes and kits, and some call for spices while others just depend on the yeast for the flavor. What is the consensus on what is the "traditional" way to go here?

I'm not sure if there's a consensus among home brewers, among belgian breweries as I understand it, most do not add spices. I have tried both ways and have not decided yet, I only like to add orange peel and/or coriander. One thing I would say is if you're using belgian yeast, as you should, go easy on the spices b/c over spicing could ruin a good beer. There's no danger in under-spicing if you use a belgian strain and ruining the beer.

From what I'm reading in "Brew Like A Monk" yeah, no spice additions, by-and-large. The yeast plays a HUGE role in the flavor, as well as actual belgian candi "sugar"; which is a syrup many of them use, and not a rock candy like we seem to have here in the states. Yeast type and fermentation temp and schedule seem like they play the biggest role from what the book talks about from the various breweries.

Being a huge fan of Gouden Carolus, I'd venture to say that they don't use spices in their tripel (now, their Noel & Easter beers? That's another story!). Plenty of candi sugar/syrup and true belgian yeast. As I found out when researching how to clone Rochefort 10, yeast is very important with belgians...and while this page doesn't list anything from Gouden Carolus on the market, the next best thing, IMHO, would be Westmalle's strain (they make a good trappist tripel), which is WLP530.

landhoney said:
I'm not sure if there's a consensus among home brewers,

I agree with that!!

As far as spices, when I started down the Belgian road, I would put in pepper and coriander during dryhopping. And found with practice and research, this wasn't necessary. The yeast in Belgian brewing is the star. Let the yeast do all the work and subtle flavors for you. Check out this link. http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/belgianchart.pdf

The temp ranges for the fermentation will make your beer yours.

By the way, I think that Whitelabs 530 is a great general yeast that works really well in just about all styles minus the Wit, and if you run it a bit warm 70*ish you really get that great spicy note you are lookin for in a Trippel.

By the way if you want a straight forward recipe, let me know and I will send you mine.

John

Back