Belgian Tripel IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yellow70cooper

Reaction score
Hello all, I am looking for a tried and true Beligian IPA based on a tripel with candy sugar and all. Does anyone have arecipe out there I could use to build off???

Yello 70 cooper

Northern Brewer has a kit called the Houblonmonstre Tripel IPA:

Fermentables

* 12 lbs. Belgian Pale Ale Malt

Boil Additions

* 1 oz. Yakima Magnum (60 min)
* 1 oz. Hersbrucker (20 min)
* 1 oz. Saaz (15 min)
* 1 oz. Cascade (15 min)
* 1 oz. Saaz (5 min)
* 1 oz. Cascade (5 min)

Special Ingredients

* Priming Sugar - 2 lbs. (Add at end of boil.)

If you choose dry yeast

* Not recommended.

If you choose liquid yeast

* Wyeast #3522 Belgian Ardennes Yeast. Optimum temperature: 65-85° F

The only change I would make would be to add the sugar to the primary fermenter after 3-7 days instead of adding it to the boil. I brew a lot of Belgians and they definitely work better with incremental feeding.

Just one malt? interesting

In general, Belgian ales have pretty simple malt bills. It's all about getting a dry beer that lets the complexity of the yeast shine through. You could add something like .75 lbs of Carapils just to give it a touch of color and some maltiness.

It looks like the goal of that recipe is to strike a balance between the yeast and the hops and leave the malt in the background. I'm a little skeptical of the whole notion of a Tripel IPA, though. Belgians ales are lightly hopped for a reason: too much will quickly overwhelm the subtle notes of the yeast.

Yeah...I really like the Houblon Chouffe...which is a Belgian IPA tripel. I haven't tried to make a Belgian IPA tripel but I think it's on the agenda

Back