Belgian Tripel - How does this look?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natron008

Reaction score
I'm looking to brew a strong, falvorful, relatively simple belgian. I've searched tons of recipes on here and kinda merged them all. Here's what I'm thinking, please let me know what you guys think...

5 gallon batch, 2.5 gallon boil

Grain:
8 oz Caravienne steep at 160 for 20 mins

Malt:
7 lbs. pilsen light/pale DME
1 lb. Munich or Special B Malt
2 pounds of table or candi sugar

Hops (in order of preference, based on availability):
2 oz Hallertau/Tettnang/Styrian/Kent (60 min.)
1 oz Saaz/Tettnang/Styrian/Kent (20 min.)
1 oz Saaz/Tettnang/Kent (5 min.)

1 tsp Irish moss at 5 min.

Yeast:
While Labs 500 or Wyeast 1214

Thanks everyone. After a trip to my local, here's what I came up with. Can't wait for this one!

BULLETPROOF MONK (working title)
5 gallon batch, 2.5 gallon boil

Grain:
1 lb. Caravienne (at 160 for 20 mins)

Malt:
7 lbs. pilsen light/pale DME
2 lbs. mixed candi sugar

Hops:
2 oz Hallertau (60 min.)
1 oz Kent Goldings (20 min.)
1 oz Saaz (5 min.)

1 tsp Irish moss (5 min)

Yeast:
While Labs 500

I screwed up (too many Mad Elves) and threw the Goldings in at 40 minuets instead of 20. Besides being a little hoppier, maybe more biiter, can I expect any other change as a result of my screw up? Any ideas?

With this big of a beer I don't think you will be able to tell much of a difference. No doubt it'll be good... when it comes to the big Belgians, simpler is better...

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Now I'm just waiting for the yeast to start kickin'

Just popped open this Tripel, and besides being a bit dark in color (couldn't get clear candi), all seems right with look, smell and initial taste. However, 4 of us sampling all complained a bit about a throat irritation that sort of felt like a mild swelling or something.

I can't say I've ever encountered this with any other beer, so I was wondering it it was some type of common "side-effect" caused by something I did wrong or maybe just a strange trait of some ingredient used.

It wasn't bad enough to make us quit drinking and we didn't drink it all night to know if it was a continual thing, but it did make me think that soemhow this batch (or perhaps just bottle) did get contaminated.

Any thoughts from you more experienced brewers?

Cool. I was thinking it was a bit soon for it, but you know how hard it is to wait!

Thanks to you both.

It's amazing what 2 weeks can do. Just popped another bottle of this stuff and it's fantastic!! Alchohol is totally mellowed and no funny mouth feelings this time. It's not really a Tripel (a little too dark due to teh mixed candi and overall hoppiness), but comes across as a really good Belgian Strong Ale worthy of it's name.

Back