Belgian Table Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheDPR

Reaction score
Need some thoughts on this table beer.

5.25gal recipe
OG: 1.032
ABV: 3.45%
IBUS: 14.8

4lbs - Belgian 2 Row
2lbs - Munich
8oz Flaked Wheat

.5oz Styrian Goldins (60min)
.5oz Saaz (10min)

Other Additions:
1oz Coriander
Whirlfloc - (15min)

2 main questions: 1) Is that too much coriander? I want a citrusy kick, but not overpowering. I haven't used this spice much so could use some suggestions. 2) Should I use the Whirlfloc or leave it a touch cloudy?

For a 1.032 beer thats alot of coriander, Id use maybe a quarter ounce. Id always use whirlfloc. Really theres not alot going on here, its really going to be whatever yeast you use. If you use a very attenuative belgian strain, you should probably add something for more body (carapils or more wheat).

Meant to include the yeast. Was planning on WLP550 Belgian Ale.

Good call on the coriander. I want some citrus, but not a lemonade!

I might add some carapils or mash around 156 or something. I like 550, its a great yeast, but it can attenuate very high. You dont want to end up with a very watery beer.

Coriander doesn't tend to go lemonade when you overdo it, it tends to go ham/hot dog. Not a pleasant character. I would cut it entirely, but that's my own personal preference. Otherwise, I would certainly use restraint.

For my Table Beer, I use Munich as the base, and I toss in some wheat malt, along with a bit of Aromatic, Special B, and C60L. The color ends up a lot darker than what you've got there, but that was intentional on my part. But it gave it some malt complexity and dextrins to keep up with the dry finish. I also used a different yeast, but your yeast should be good for what you're doing.

Awesome, thanks for the suggestions! I'm hoping this turns out as a light, but flavorful beer the SWMBO and I can both enjoy on a pretty spring/summer day.

Back