belgian strong dark ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simcoe26

Reaction score
Just want input on this recipe. This is my first Belgian and first time using Candi sugar.

12lbs 2 row
4 lbs wheat malt
1 pound caramunich
.5 lbs special b
1lb dark Belgian Candi sugar

.75 oz warrior at 60 min
.25 oz warrior at 0 min
.50 oz hallertauer at 0 min

WLP 550 with a starter

I think it will finish a little thicker and sweeter than a typical Belgian Dark Strong. If you want it as "digestible" as is typical for the style, I would go with something like:
14-2row (you could mix in Vienna or Munich for more maltiness)
1 wheat
.5 Caramunich
.5 Special B
1 Dark Candi Syrup
1 table sugar (or more candi syrup)

Given how long quads usually age, I don't know that the flameout hops will bring much, but I don't think they'll take anything away. Pitch rate and fermenting temps will be the key to the beer; they'll allow you to tailor this to your tastes.

I think it will finish a little thicker and sweeter than a typical Belgian Dark Strong. If you want it as "digestible" as is typical for the style, I would go with something like:
14-2row (you could mix in Vienna or Munich for more maltiness)
1 wheat
.5 Caramunich
.5 Special B
1 Dark Candi Syrup
1 table sugar (or more candi syrup)

Given how long quads usually age, I don't know that the flameout hops will bring much, but I don't think they'll take anything away. Pitch rate and fermenting temps will be the key to the beer; they'll allow you to tailor this to your tastes.

As far as the hops go I have a half an ounce of hallertauer that I need to use and like you said I figures it couldn't hurt. Do you think the bittering hops are enough? I plan on making a stepped up starter and fermenting around 72. I also had a mix of 4lbs 2row and 4lbs what that my friend gave me that was already mixed so that's why there is a lot of wheat.

I am kind of going for a 10% dark Belgian almost stout like beer.

What you've got will give you stout mouthfeel and quad flavor; there's almost no roastiness in there. I might switch the lb of caramunich to 2-3 lbs of Munich, but that depends on your tastes. Given that you won't have the drying effect that dark malts bring, I'd use the whole oz of Warrior to bitter. 72 should be fine for 550. It handles high temps without off-flavors or hotness.

Awesome thank you I might have some carafa sitting around so I might put a little of that and I will prolly take your advice on the ounce of warrior.

Latest posts

Back