Belgian Strong Ale (Wyeast Labs #1388) but dry?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I found a recipe for one of my favorite beer that I want to try out. It calls for the Belgian Strong Ale (Wyeast Labs #1388); however, I live in Guam and shipping it here may not be worth it (heat may ruin in shipment). Is there a dry yeast that is similar to this one?

There is no real good belgian dry yeast, but you could try a blend of T-58 and Danstar Abbaye. Ferment warm and underpitch yeast. It should provide a fairly peppery/phenolic profile, with - if you're lucky - a bit of fruit esters.

Do you think I should try to ship the liquid yeast and see if it works? Maybe have the dry yeast on the side and pitch it if the liquid doesn't work? I do have one liquid yeast that I haven't tried yet--still new to brewing. I started a month ago, but ordered a extract recipe kit that came with liquid yeast (didn't know at the time that temperature was a factor on it).

Do you think I should try to ship the liquid yeast and see if it works? Maybe have the dry yeast on the side and pitch it if the liquid doesn't work? I do have one liquid yeast that I haven't tried yet--still new to brewing. I started a month ago, but ordered a extract recipe kit that came with liquid yeast (didn't know at the time that temperature was a factor on it).

How long does it take for a package to reach you

Mangrove Jack's Abbey M47 has a fairly similiar flavour profile as wlp530 , but not necessarily the same level of attenuation.

I've used the Mangrove Jacks m21 and m31 and found both to be pretty good. I would order one of the Mangrove strains and the liquid yeast. That way if the liquid doesn't make it, you have a dry option. If the liquid is still good, make 2 batches with each yeast to for comparison.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but CoreyD, could you share some insight as to the flavour of M31? I'm thinking about trying it, and most of what I've read about it is about the high attenuation.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but CoreyD, could you share some insight as to the flavour of M31? I'm thinking about trying it, and most of what I've read about it is about the high attenuation.

My pallet is not as refined as others so I didn't notice any fruity characters, but there is a bit of clove. The alcohol flavor they describe is there, but it fades a bit after a few months. Over all I liked it a lot, but I could barely tell the difference between the m31 and the m21. I'm new to the style so don't have much clue what to look for. The m31 was close to the flavors I found in North Coast Brewings Brothers Thelonious Abbey Ale.

I suspect K1V-1116 wine yeast may be similar to a Belgian ale yeast (no idea which one) but I haven't seen much written about it. I have a simple beer (just Belgian pils malt and Sterling hops) fermenting on K1V right now but I haven't sampled it yet. I was out of town for 2 weeks and thought it would be finished when I got back (because it was almost done when I left) but it is still slowly chugging along -- I should probably raise the temperature to hurry it along.

Thanks for the input all. I have been working a parallel effort to get the liquid yeast from Hawaii--since I know people that go there pretty regularly (they could carry it back with them---keeping it cool). In either case, I will eventually get the yeast here and try the Belgium Recipe.

I suspect K1V-1116 wine yeast may be similar to a Belgian ale yeast (no idea which one) but I haven't seen much written about it.

The main group of wine yeasts are closely related to the saison group - both groups are less domesticated than the main group of brewery yeasts as they are only fermenting seasonally rather than throughout the year. So they're closer to wild yeast - both are mostly POF+ (so "Belgian") and wine yeasts generally can't metabolise maltotriose. However, K1V-1116 is very weird for a wine yeast, it's POF- and can eat maltotriose, which makes me suspect that it's actually a (non-Belgian) brewery yeast that's ended up being used for wine.

Back