Belgian strong ale fermentation temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pokerloict

Reaction score
Hi,

I ferment a belgian strong ale using my kegarator. The temperateure is 57-58 (Kegarator, not liquid). I know the temperateure will increase during fermentation. Is this too cold?

Thank

It's not ideal, as you probably know. Belgian yeast prefers warmer temps in order to develop the characteristic esters that define its performance. And a strong ale with a high OG might have challenges fully attenuating, depending on the strain you use. I think I'd not want to ferment that type of yeast without guaranteeing that it will rise into at least the high 60s at the height of fermentation.

You could pitch cold, allow fermentation to progress for 24 hours, then remove it from the kegerator and allow it to free rise at room temperature.

IMO it's too cold. I wouldn't want to ferment a Belgian strain cooler than the mid-60s but I know people do go lower. The lower you go the more restrained flavor production tends to be.

Back