Belgian Strong Ale-bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewmax25

Reaction score
Hey folks

I am about to bottle a belgian strong ale that has been sitting since late January.

1- is there going to be enough yeast to carb this beer in bottles?
2- I know people like to bottle this style in cork bottles or thick glass champagne bottles but I just want to bottle in standard 12 oz bottles. Will this be a problem?

If it's only been fermenting for a month and a half you might want to leave it in there longer. That's a big beer that needs a lot of time. I brewed a trappist style this past fall that fermented for almost 3 months. I then bottled and let sit for another month.

No problems with carbing. However, I did take a second wyeast packet and dump it in about 3 days prior to bottling. If you don't add more yeast it will still carb, it will just take a lot longer.

I also used normal bottles with normal caps and have had no problems yet. If I had all the equipment I would probably cork it in large bottles, but that would be purely for style. Your normal bottling process and equipment will work just fine.

Back