Belgian session ales?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snailsongs

Reaction score
MODS: I re-posted this in Recipes/ingredients....feel free to delete this 'whoops" posting.Belgian beer is a category I haven't tackled at all, and I think the only proper Belgian beer I've ever had was Chimay Grand Reserve. I liked it and appreciated the flavor profile, but it was quite strong and almost liquour like which precludes it as a regular at my house.
My brewing choices lean more toward the sessionable side most of the time. Maybe what I'm after here would be like a Belgian Single, as opposed to the 'grande reserve' triple.....is there such a thing? What would be some good belgian "session" ales (lets say, anything under 1.060-65) to try and/or try to brew that are characteristically Belgian in flavor and temperment (no Wit's - that I have tried)?

Feel free to link to or post recipe's for me and anyone else interested to ponder......

I've brewed Abbey of Leffe Bruin clone by Austin Homebrew Supply. I wouldn't call it a session beer, but its not a real high gravity beer. When I think session beer, I think 4-5% . What were you thinking. I really liked the AHS clone. Let it warm up to room temp a bit and its real nice, but I've thought about wanting to do something similiar but maybe a bit less sweet and less alcohol.

The Brewing Network.com - :

The Jamil Show podcast on Belgian Pale Ale^

Here is Jamil's Belgian Pale recipe from Brewing Classic Styles:

OG 1.052
FG 1.012
IBU 26
ABV 5.3%

11.2 lbs continental pilsner (or 8.3lbs pilsner LME)
0.75 lbs caramunich
0.25 lbs biscuit
mash at 152*F

1.3 oz EKG 5% AA 60min
0.3 oz EKG 5% AA 0min

WLP515 Antwerp Ale or Wyeast 3655 Belgian Schelde
Ferment at 66*F

This month's Zymurgy (May-June) has a whole section on Belgian session beers -- Blondes, Wits, BPAs, Tafelbier (sort of a Belgian Mild made for kids), and Paterbier -- the original Trappist single. I may be leaving one out, but that's a place to look.

you need to work up your alcohol tolerance:rockin:If I could afford it I'd drink chimay blue all night.I'm attempting a clone on staurday;)

you need to work up your alcohol tolerance:rockin:If I could afford it I'd drink chimay blue all night.I'm attempting a clone on staurday;)

If you're in Taunton, Mass you and you want to drink Chimay Blue all night go to Punjab Palace in Allston on Brighton Ave, it's somehow $3.50 a bottle and when I ate there (and ordered 2 Blues) they never showed up on the bill!

REally?!!? It's more than that in the liquor store!Thanks for the tip man.Know of any good hotels in alston?Not making that trip to drive home sober:tank:Last time I was in boston I took the T up and left the bar waaaaaay after it stopped running:mad:

Haha, yea it's a crazy deal! Punjab is an Indian restaurant and they just added beer to their menu, though seeing as how they're across the street from Sunset (350+ beers) and down the street from Deep Ellum they had to kind of go all out.

As far as hotels, thats tough. The T stops running just before 1am and there really aren't any hotels in Allston. There are some close by though that would be a cheap drunk cab ride from Allston. Check the Best Western on Commonwealth in Brookline or the Double Tree just across the river in Cambridge.

Or maybe I could just drive up,then drink enough so I don't mind sleeping in my car:)

There's an idea! Hopefully you don't wake up with your car on the back of a tow truck on its way to the BTD lot!

Back