Belgian Rye Ale Repair????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S_carve

Reaction score
So I bought an extract kit from Northern Brewer it was the American Rye Ale kit. It was supposed to be done with the 1056 american yeast but for some reason i had a pack of 1214 which is the Belgian Abbey, and I used that instead. The beer came out pretty horrible. Nice yeast aroma but bad taste with a real strong rye dryness kick in the ass. I kegged it and can barely drink it.

Is there any to attempt to save this or help it get better?
I couldnt think of any good ways to fix it, only thought was to freeze distill it when it gets cold.

I would blend this beer. its a good candidate for blending with some other beer, as it isn't an infection of some sort. i sort of dislike (hate, HATE...) rye myself, so I would blend this with a Russian imperial stout. If you have 5 gallons of rye ale, i would blend it with 10 gallons of a RIS. When you brew the RIS, I wouldn't add any flaked barly, as the rye will accomplish the same flavor profile and characteristics of flaked barely. a 50/50 mix may be too strong, but you could try it. Or, if you do like the rye taste, try blending it with an IPA and make a rye ipa? Hop rod rye?

Thanks for the responses!! I thought this was going to be a lost cause. Not sure why but i never even thought of blending it with another batch. Great idea mexico. Yes it is matured already. Has been in secondary for 8 weeks and just kegged it about 2 weeks ago. It tasted so bad that I pulled it from the fridge and topped it off with CO2 until I figured something to do with it. Im not sure if I can now blend it because it has been carbonated or I could just leave the vent open for 10min a day. Definetly something to think about.

Well, before you actually blend the 5 gallons with another-- I would recommend mixing the two homebrew beers in a glass. If it sucks, then I would just toss the rye mistake & chalk it up to a learning lesson about how important yeast selection can be. Or find someone that will drink it.

On second thought, I'd grab a commercial IPA and experiment with it right now (50-50 blend; 25-75%, etc) rather than spending more $ and time on the second batch!

Back