Belgian Pilsner Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeBTexas

Reaction score
Could or would I want to use a Belgian Pilsner malt at about 20% of the grain bill in an Ale. I'm not too sure if the results would be good.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I think you'll be fine, lots of pilsners are fermented with ale yeast, lots of Belgian ales also are mostly pilsner malts. I expect you'll be fine. Key to pilsner is a 90 minute boil is all to drive off any DMS.

You can use 100% Belgian pilsner malt if you want. It is a base malt and will convert just fine. Many fine American beers are made with pilsner malt as a base malt. I have a couple of pale ales and IPAs that I use a lot of pilsner malt in.

+1 to both of those responses. Lots of Belgian styles are 100% pilsner malt, and it is good in other styles as well. Its been a little while since I've used it, but I think it does have a slightly higher protein content than regular 2-row, so you might end up with more trub. But it isn't enough to have to worry about a stuck sparge or anything, though.

Back