Belgian Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdykstra

Reaction score
I'm brewing a Belgian Pale Ale and following these instructions:

Ingredients
6.6 lb. Muntons Extra Light Malt Extract
1 lb. Light Candy Sugar
½ lb. Dingemann’s Aromatic Malt 22° L
¼ lb. Dingemans Caramunich Malt 60° L
1½ oz. Styrian Goldings Hop Pellets (Bittering)
0.75 oz. Styrian Goldings Hop Pellets (Flavor)
0.75 oz. Styrian Goldings Hop Pellets (Finishing)
White Labs WLP-530 Abbey Ale Yeast

The original recipe did not include the 1 lb. of Light Candy Sugar, but I'm adding it to make it a little stronger. I compensated by slightly increasing the flavor and finishing hop additions from 0.25 to 0.75 oz. I'm curious if the Light Candy Sugar addition is a good idea, or if it might lead to too much of alcohol or dry flavor in the beer. This is my first Belgian, advice?

Belgian Pale Ale is not traditionally a "hoppy" beer, so your late additions are a little bit more than what might be traditional, but all in all, this should certainly make a fine beer especially if you like a little more hop flavor. Obviously, upping the sugar will create some balance thereof. This is certainly non-traditional, but it sounds tasty to me.

I definitely want to add some of the candy sugar, but I'm curious if maybe adjusting it to 0.5 lb. of Light Candy Sugar and the flavoring and finishing hop additions to 0.50 oz. each might be better balanced. Also what would be the best time to add the candy sugar to the boil? I was figuring I would add it about 20 minutes before finishing the boil.

Belgian Pale Ale is not traditionally a "hoppy" beer, so your late additions are a little bit more than what might be traditional, but all in all, this should certainly make a fine beer especially if you like a little more hop flavor. Obviously, upping the sugar will create some balance thereof. This is certainly non-traditional, but it sounds tasty to me.

Thanks! I think it sounds pretty good as well. I would like it to be on the hoppy end but I don't want to cross over into Belgian IPA territory. I'm going to consider lowering the late addition hops a tad.

Back