Belgian Pale Ale Belgian Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I kegged this after 2 weeks in the primary at 67. It's hard to keep my hands off it, I'm drinking a bit every day even though it's not quite "there" yet. A bit 'sharp' and bitter in a yeasty sort of way right now but it's improving on a nearly daily basis. I think I may have overshot the bitterness a bit messing with the hop schedule. If I brewed it again I might dial it back a notch.

Very solid beer. Wish I had a bottle of DeKoninck to compare to. Thanks for the reicpe Sacch!

how would this change is I was was to use a Belgian Pale Malt?
How long was your boil with this. I've read that any pilsner malt should have a 90 minute boil? Is this correct?

How long was your boil with this. I've read that any pilsner malt should have a 90 minute boil? Is this correct?

Yes, boil your first hop addition for 90 minutes (especially for all-grain). Since the hops are pretty mild in this one, it doesn't make much of a difference in overall bitterness.

Also, I just brewed this up last night. This is the first time I've used WLP515 and maaaaaaaan, it's delicious. I tasted the decanted liquid off of my starter and just about drank the whole thing.

Has anyone tried dry-hopping this beer with Saaz hops? I've got a 5-gallon batch in primary and I've got an extra ounce of hops I don't foresee using anytime soon.

I know hop flavor shouldn't be huge in this beer, but I think hop aroma could add something interesting.

Brewed this again a few weeks ago.
Was not able to get the 515 yeast, so used WLP530. Not the same, but good beer anyway.

Brewed this using the Canadian/Belgian blend and took 3rd in the Portland Cheers to Belgian Beers homebrew competition this last year. I skipped the aromatic malt and fermented with the Canadian/Belgian blend. Hopped with Hallertau for the same IBUs.

That yeast gives it a pear-like fruitiness.

Trying it again today with the original grain bill and fermenting with Belgian Ardennes.

Still keep this in rotation:) trying this time with a simple Belgian strain. Up to 43 gallons of this recipe:) 25 o which will be going on tap tomorrow:)

My latest batch of this, with this falls yeast is terrific!
Man, I love this beer!

Just bottled this last night. Hydro sample was awesome so I can't wait for this to carb up. I used Wyeast 3522 belgian ardennes for the yeast and I think I made a good choice.

I've been looking for a good BPA recipe and thought this one looks perfect! Will sub for spare Goldings or hallertau I have lying in the freezer, and dont think I can get the 515 or flanders yeast so I might end up going with the 3522 as well.

Do any users of the 3522 Ardennes have any comments on their choice? I really just want something that wont be too extreme Belgian character if I keep the temp in check but want to reuse the yeast cake for something big, say a dubbel or dark strong.

I want to try this recipe next... Belgian pale ales are just about my favorite style.... mmmm..

I'll be splitting it and doing a 2.5 gallon batch in my kitchen.

Brewed this on 3-22. Was able to get two vials antwerp yeast. Used a 750ml starter with one vial and pitched the second. Looking forward to this one finishing out. Do you guys think I should wash the yeast when it's done?

I don't have the Schelde or Antwerp ale yeasts available so I am brewing this with the WY1581 Belgian stout yeast instead. Anyone tried that yet? I'm intrigued by the more neutral but still phenolic properties that this yeast might impart. Fermenting in the low 60's. Would anyone suggest fermenting higher to get some more pepper notes the a bolleke has or keep it lower (my basement has an ambient temp of 62F)?

Does anyone have a feeling for how fermentation temperature effects the taste profile generated by wlp 515? Doing my 1st 515 brew and fermented @ 70 f (ambient).

I do small batches, so I tend to use dry yeast.. much more cost effective when doing 2 gallon batches...

What dry yeast do you think would be best for this recipe?

Fermenting in the low 70s (ambient temperature) worked out great. The beer ended up with a good amount of belgian funk to it.

Kegged the other day using the same %'s just brewed to get a 4.7% ABV for a sub 5% Session competition for my homebrew club. Sample was good so we will see.

Update: Two weeks after kegging this beer is very good. Wife enjoys it as well.

Thanks for the recipe.

UPDATE: I won a Silver Medal with a 39 in a Session BPA Category for a competition sponsored by the breweries in town. The beer I lost to won overall best in show.

Here is What I brewed to get a 4.75% version. Followed OP for overall directions:

Brewed 7/22 very good from grain to keg in 5-6 weeks

p8250271-63650.jpg

7.6 lbs Pilsner
15.3 oz Caravienne
7.6 oz Biscuit
7.6 oz Flaked Oats
3.8 oz Aromatic

1oz EKG at 60
.5oz EKG at 0

I used some saved WLP 500 as my lhbs doesn't have seasonal yeasts during off season. Fermented at 66-68° to keep esters minimal worked very well.

does anyone else not come close to hitting the OP color? mine is most definitely golden to pale rather than copper. Beersmith predicted as well

I tasted a fermenter sample today. Obviously warm and flat, but seems to be promising. Peppery, a bit of grain and some bitter. I fermented at 68, but caught the chamber at 70+ once or twice, which is fine by me. Going to hit it with lager temperatures for a few weeks before serving and see how it goes. Definitely didn't hit the color of the original recipe, however. Also, I hit FG in less than a week which surprised me because the original recipe said 21 days at 68

I tasted a fermenter sample today. Obviously warm and flat, but seems to be promising. Peppery, a bit of grain and some bitter. I fermented at 68, but caught the chamber at 70+ once or twice, which is fine by me. Going to hit it with lager temperatures for a few weeks before serving and see how it goes. Definitely didn't hit the color of the original recipe, however. Also, I hit FG in less than a week which surprised me because the original recipe said 21 days at 68

The 21 days is to let the yeast work with byproducts not for reaching you FG. It's just the standard leave your beer in primary for 3 weeks method he's refering to I believe.

Did you use the Antwerp Ale Yeast? I have used WLP 550 and it while the beer was great, it was missing that pepper. My LHBS doesnt ever get the yeast and shipping liquid yeast to Florida isn't a great idea much of the year.

The 21 days is to let the yeast work with byproducts not for reaching you FG. It's just the standard leave your beer in primary for 3 weeks method he's refering to I believe.

Did you use the Antwerp Ale Yeast? I have used WLP 550 and it while the beer was great, it was missing that pepper. My LHBS doesnt ever get the yeast and shipping liquid yeast to Florida isn't a great idea much of the year.

I'm using 515. Cultured the living hell out of a 2014 sample that my LHBS had in the back of the fridge still. I've never left any of my beers at fermenting temperatures for three weeks, unless you count lagers. Everyone does it different, I guess haha

Tasted this again today. Less pepper, more green apple and a boat load of grain. Too much to be honest. I'll let it sit for another week, taste and then probably dry hop in an attempt to cover the unwanted grain. Probably should have added a bit more late minute noble hops

I've reworked this recipe a bit to fit my setup and hop/yeast preference. The first time I brewed it with 550 and loved it. The second time I tried 515 and it was good but not great. My third attempt I used 500 and bumped up the grain/hop bill a bit. It is stellar. I won gold with a 43 and the prize is to have the beer brewed and on tap at one of our local breweries.
This is a great recipe base for a Belgian pale ale. As is it is great and with a little playing you can make it to whatever you want.

I would like to brew this next weekend however my LHBS doesn't have WLP515. Here's what they do have.
WLP500, 530, 570 575
Wyeast 1214, 1762, 3522
Out of these, which would be the best to use?

500 I ferment 68 for 2 full days then 69 for 1 and let it rise to 70 on day 4-5 of its still going at that point.

530 is similar to 500 is some regards but I have had better consistent results with 500

I would like to brew this next weekend however my LHBS doesn't have WLP515. Here's what they do have.
WLP500, 530, 570 575
Wyeast 1214, 1762, 3522
Out of these, which would be the best to use?

I can only comment on the yeast I have experience with. I brewed this recipe and used the wyeast 3522. Fermented in the mid 60's for the first week, then let it free rise to finish off. It has a moderate spicy/black pepper character that complements the Saaz hops. FG was 1.013. I thought it worked really well for this style.

Thanks for the reply.
I'll go with either 500 or 3522. Whichever one is newer as the LHBS have a wide range of dates.

I made this in early January and it already tastes fantastic, thanks for the recipe. This batch won't last long!

I'm brewing this for the second time tomorrow, both times will be with 3522. I really enjoy it - nice and simple and I can enjoy a couple without getting smashed. It's nice to have a Belgian brew on tap and not have to pay the crazy prices for Belgian beers at the store. I'm curious if anyone has tweaked this at all (e.g. coriander, etc.).

Thanks for the recipe.

I just brewed this yesterday, pitched a saison blend I bottled dredged. Forgot to take a gravity reading cuz I was fixing supper at the same time. Also went off and used home grown hops for bittering, nugget and Columbus for at 60 hershbecker 2.6aa for at 15 min and saaz 2.2aa at 5 min.

Just kegged it today, OG 1.051 and FG 1.011, a bit higher than I thought but still a nice range to be in. Brewed with BE-256, so probably won't get the same notes as the OP's recipe. Smells a bit like a Hefe with a soft banana coming through, but probably to early to tell.

Looking forward to trying it after conditioning for 2 weeks @ room temperature.

Back