Quantcast

Belgian Pale Ale - Partial Mash

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

zgo

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm planning on making a BPA partial mash. This is the first time I've put together my own recipe, so I'm really curious to see what people on the board think. For a 5 gallon batch, do you think it'll turn out balanced?

2 lbs Pils malt extract (liq.)
3 lbs Belgian pils malt
1.5 lbs Belg. Caramunich
1 Belg. Caravienne
.5 Belgian biscuit malt

1 oz Goldings 60 min.
1 oz Saaz 30 min.
.5 Saaz 10 min.
.5 Saaz 5 min.

Yeast: Wyeast Belgian Ardennes

I'm particularly interested in a couple things. First, I've heard on this board that too much biscuit malt can make a style like this too malty. Second, is there any discernible difference between E.K. Goldings and US Goldings (Northern Brewer is out of the former, and that's where I'll buy ingredients). Finally, this is a recipe I've put together collage-style from looking at a handful of others, so if something seems pointless or too complicated, I'd like to know.

Thanks in advance for your help.

benbradford

Reaction score
I use 1 oz biscuit in my 10 gallon batches of belgian pale ale, and it is great. I am sure that there are diferrences between the two hops, and from what I can tell EK has more of an earthy flavor. If there is any concern, go ahead and adjust up for using saaz for both bittering and aroma hops(that is also what I do).

Other than that, I use a little aromatic malt (about 3.5 oz per 5 gallons), and some flaked oats for body and head retention.

Looks good though. p.s. I really like the Flanders Golden Ale too!

Latest posts