Belgian-like Wit with Marmalade

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeanLucD

Reaction score
Well, I've had a good look around the forums and after the last wheat beer I made which everyone seemed to love, I thought I would be nice to make a Belgian Wit. So I went to my LHBS and there was nothing really suitable, in terms of kits and the extract costs WAY more than its worth, cos you have to buy the dry stuff by the pound. Sooo, I decided to just get a Bavarian wheat kit (ya I know, not really belgian at all), not to mention the fact that there was only one kind of wheat yeast - safale K-97. I'm then gonna add some coriander and orange, but to make matters more interesting I can't seem to find bitter orange peel anywhere at all, and I remember hearing Randy Mosher saying that he uses marmalade for adding orange flavour to his beers on basic brewing radio, he also mentioned that it added some haze due to the pectin in it, but since it's a wheat it shouldn't matter at all.

It seems that about .75oz or maybe two tablespoons of corriander should be right for the 23L batch (5gal) and that I should just grind the whole coriander seeds that I've got. But I've got no idea how much marmalade to add. It seems that Randy Mosher likes to add heaps of fruity flavours so his beers, but I just want a subtle orange flavour to mine, although since it's just about summer down here a fair amount of orange should be quite nice I think. So anyone have a clue how much marmalade I should add?? I'm thinking about just putting the marmalade and coriander near the end of the boil.

I've used orange marmalade in two different belgian beers(boiled @~5-10min). Once the whole ~18oz jar, the other maybe a quarter of that. Too much and too little respetively, next time I'm going with half a jar - or ~9oz. IMHO, you get the orange flavor pretty well. I'm not sold on marmalade yet, after the next batch I'm going to try boiling different fresh orange peels. I'd go ~9oz or less for 5gal, don't over do it - you can always add more to the fermenter.

Cheers, I'm glad you posted that cos I was about to put 2 desert spoons full, which would be like way too little it seems. So i guess I'll be putting in about 250g, which is just about my whole jar, hehe - I decided to get organic marmalade, but looking back at it, it was WAY expensive at like $8NZ for 283g... I think the reason I decided to get organic marmalade was more to do with me being lazy, since I'd just bought the coriander from that shop, and perhaps due to the hot girl working in the shop, :D.

JeanLucD,
Last November you posted that you had used the Safale K-97 yeast. I’m interested on what you think of it now. Do you still use it? Over a week ago I used the Safale K-97 yeast for my Hefeweizen. My fermentation is looking great, yet I was wonder how this yeast worked for your beer when you finally drank it.

Paul

Back