Belgian IIPA recipe critique!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thisisxxmyIPA

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Single Infusion light body mash, 5 gal
Assume efficiency @ 70%
Est EG: 1093
Est IBU: 78

10 lb Pale malt, Belgian
2 lb Maris Otter
.25 lb Special B
3 lb table sugar

2 oz Centennial, 60
1 oz Cascade, 30
1 oz Cascade, 15
1 oz Amarillo, 5
2 oz Amarillo, flameout
2 oz Simcoe, flameout
2 oz Amarillo, dry hop
2 oz Simcoe, dry hop

Wyeast Belgian Abbey II (1762, with starter, of course.)

All criticism welcome!!!!!!

Interesting looking. Did you put the Marris Otter in for a little more malt back bone? I like that, esp since the 3# of sugar will hopefully finish it fairly dry. The hops aren't very Belgian, not that there's anything wrong with that. I'm not a fan of Amarillo, but that is a personal thing. Just don't care for the flavour and plenty of other folks think I'm crazy.

Overall looks like a tasty brew.

Hahaha, yeah, the MO is in for more backbone. Wanted to keep the hops American, since the "Belgian" IPA is sort of an American invention anyway.

But I love this yeast. I think it will be nice.

IMO, the IBUs aren't high enough for a IIPA. You need more like a BU:GU ratio of 1:1 or higher. If you have another ounce of high alpha bittering hops to add at 60, that's what I'd do. Otherwise, very interesting brew...I really enjoy the combo of Simcoe and Amarillo as finishing hops...be sure to post about results.

Back