Belgian graff, recipe modification

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VasDeferensly

Reaction score
So I had a successful first try with Gunslinger's Graff as my first non cider brew(the tartness has really gone down after a few more weeks of bottle conditioning, my friends couldn't get enough of it), and I was contemplating making it again but I realize it may be a little warm in my fermentation area. This got me thinking about trying a Belgian graff, since apparently Belgian yeasts handle warmer fermenting temps. Could I modify the Gunslinger's Graff recipe to make a Belgian style graff? So far I've been thinking about trading out some LME for dark Belgian candi syrup, reducing and changing the hops, and possibly removing the smoked malt. I have no clue what I'm doing here, so any advice is greatly appreciated.

Here's the Gunslinger's Graff recipe:

3 lbs Amber LME (swap out for candi syrup? keep all LME and add candi syrup?)
1 lb Crystal 120
12 oz Special B
4 oz Smoked Malt (Drop completely?)
8 oz Roasted Barley
4 oz. Chocolate Wheat
1 oz Centennial hops @ 60 min (what hop varieties?)
1 oz Cascade @ 20 min

Steep crushed grains in 2 gallons 156F water for 30 min. Drain and discard grains. Add LME and dissolve. Bring to boil. Add hops at noted times. Cool. Pour 2 gallons of wort into 3 gallons of apple cider in fermentor. Pitch Nottingham. Ferment to a target FG of near or below 1.010.

No, I ended up buying ingredients for Brandon O's graff, though this is still an idea I'm tossing around in my head.

I'd like advice on the beer portion of the recipe, but it still seems to be a question that goes in the cider forum.

how did you find the gunslinger's graff compared to brandon o's?

Back