Belgian Golden Strong suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GnomeEnthusiast

Reaction score
I've got a kit from Grape and Granary that I've enjoyed in the past.

Here's the bill:

6.6 lbs Pilsen Extract
1 lb. Extra light DME
2 lbs. Corn sugar

How, if at all, would this improve if I replaced the corn sugar with Belgian candi sugar?

Any other ideas?

It hit 7.75% last time. Wouldn't mind it hitting around 9%.

I'm using a smack-pack from Wyeast, Belgian Ardennes (3522?).

You say "last time", meaning you've made this before? If so, I'd say give the candi sugar a try, that way you can compare. However, candi sugar may be slightly less fermentable than corn, and either way I doubt you'd hit 9% unless you were using a more attenuative yeast than before.

My other suggestion would be to maybe steep some specialty grains, maybe a bit of Belgian aromatic or biscuit. You could also try a mini-mash with some pilsner (for diastatic power) and a few specialty grains, that way you'd boost both your ABV and round out the recipe. Someone might have a better suggestion.

I don't see how you get that ABV without either adding more fermentables or brewing a smaller batch (e.g., 4 gallons). I think you'd have to get about 95% attenuation to get that up to 9%.

IME using clear candi, table sugar, or corn sugar makes no difference that I can discern in Belgian golden strongs/triples. Dark candi is a different story. As mentioned you'll need to up your fermentables if you want to go from 7.75 to 9%.

You could go dark candi sugar, add in a pound or so of wheat DME, and play with the temp, you can change the flavor profile with Belgian strains pretty drastically with varying temps

Increase the DME to 2 pounds and reduce the batch from 5 gallons to 4, and can you get about 9%:

6.6 # Pilsen or extra light LME
2 # DME (wheat would be nice)
1 # Dark or D2 Candi Syrup
1 # table sugar

The dark candi will make it a Belgian Dark Strong. (It would be a dubbel, 'cept 9% is too strong for that) What hops and yeast did you use last time?

Thanks for all of the feedback and suggestions.

I have made this once before, strictly by the kit, using Wyeast Belgian Ardennes #3522 smack pack, which I plan to use again.

Based on the suggestions, here is what I am thinking:

6.6 lbs. LME (included with kit)
2# DME (included with kit)
1# DME wheat
1# Light Candi
1# Corn sugar (included with kit)

Make a tea with 6 oz biscuit malt, 6 oz munich (saw this in a lot of clone recipes)

I plan to make a starter the night before.

Add'l suggestions/adjustments appreciated. Looks like I'm headed for a tripel...

A useful technique to boost ABV and attenuation with big Belgian ales is to add sugar during fermentation. Typically the sugar is added at or just as high kreusen is subsiding...at least that is what I have done with good success.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

6.6 lbs. LME (included with kit)
2# DME (included with kit)
1# Soft Candi
3# Honey
6 oz biscuit malt, 6 oz munich

The primary fermentation was explosive and long. Very exciting.
I let it sit for a while in secondary, finally got it kegged about 3 weeks ago. FG of around 10-11%, and still sweet, almost too much so. I may try it again, back off the honey, and add a little more hops to balance it out.

Back