Belgian Golden Strong Ale - Sour Taste?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lmd

Reaction score
I brewed a BGSA on Christmas and has been bottle conditioning for a few weeks now. I wanted to try it out to see how it is, and I am not sure if its a bad batch. Its not that carbonated yet, but it has a sourish smell. Its definately dry (like it should be) but I am not sure about the sour taste. Will it subside?

Sour shouldn't be there. Might it be a little sulfur instead? Sour I would't expect to go away, sulfur will diminish with time. What yeast did you use?

FWIW, I brewed a Golden Strong at the end of December too - mine ended up nice and dry at 1.004. Its 9.5% abv, but you have no idea, no fusels, exceptionally easy to drink.

I used wlp 570 - belgian golden strong yeast. Recipe was:

11# belgian pilsner
.25# carapils
.25# biscuit

2 oz saaz 60 min
1 oz saaz 15 min
2lbs candi sugar 10 min

Maybe it needs to condition a little bit more..

I used wlp 570 - belgian golden strong yeast. Recipe was:

11# belgian pilsner
.25# carapils
.25# biscuit

2 oz saaz 60 min
1 oz saaz 15 min
2lbs candi sugar 10 min

Maybe it needs to condition a little bit more..

Certainly no harm in letting it sit for a while.

I used Belgian Pilsner, 2 lbs sugar, Challenger and Mt. Ranier hops, and two big starters of Belgian Golden yeast and Abbey Ale yeast. Started it low at 63F, than slowly raised the temp until it finished up at around 76F. FG was 1.004

on Decemeber 25, I had a SG of 1080 and on Jan 8, I was at 1010. My abv reading was about 8.1%. I will wait a few more weeks. Should be ready beginning of April..

Back