Belgian/French Hybrid Dark Saison with Tamarind

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Headley_Lamarr

Reaction score
Grain, etc.
--------------------------------
18 lb. Vienna
.5 lb Special B
.5 lb Chocolate Malt
.75 lb Midnight Wheat
15 oz Tamarind Pulp (10 min)

Hops, additions
-------------------------------------
1.25 oz. Northern Brewery (FWH)

Yeast (the batch was split into 2 4-gallon fermenters)
Batch 1 - Omega Labs OYL-500 (Saisonstein's Monster)

>> This batch was brewed primarily to test out this yeast. It's a Belgian/French Saison hybrid from Omega Labs in Chicago. The yeast is supposed to get a lot of the fruit character and less phenols while maintaining the French saison ease of use (no stalls, don't need to ferment at 90f)

Batch 2 - WY3724 Belgian Saison with wild dregs from various beers

Other
Batch 1 - rack onto 8 oz of tamarind pulp in a secondary

Mash Schedule
Mash 60 min. at 154f

Batch 1 - Ferment @ 68f for 2 weeks; Transfer to secondary onto 8oz of tamarind pulp for 10 days

Batch 2 - wait it out to let the bugs do their thing

Bottle carb

I'm trying out the OYL-500 Saison Yeast in my saison, too! Any updates on the difference in character between OYL500 and WY3724?

In for results. As a saison freak i'm very interested in how the OYL-500 turns out. Haven't even heard of Omega Yeast... i'm guessing (looks like) they're a small start up? Can't wait to see how this turns out.

Sorry for the late follow up. Beer turned out nice. It definitely was better fresh as the tamarind flavor/tartness fell off quickly. The tamarind gave an earthy tart flavor without overpowering it. Per the yeast, I'd say it is a true hybrid. It wasn't too belgian estery nor too French fruity. either. The nice part was not worrying about the fermentation temps. I think if I brewed it again, I'd change my grain bill to give a little more malt character. The tamarind would play off that better.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Back