Belgian Dubbel yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

millsbrew

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry in advance for being long-winded.

I brewed an abby dubbel AG kit from NB 15 days ago. Everything went well except forgetting to hit start on my timer at the beginning of the boil. I ended up short by .2 gallons, so I added the water and 2 tablespoons of honey for some extra gravity. My OG was 1.065ish. I pitched my 2L starter of WLP500 at 66F (I did not decant, because I forgot to cold crash it the night before) and threw it into my ferm chamber at 69F. 2 days passed and i saw very little activity (a bubble per minute). No krausen residue and no yeast "swimming" around. I noticed something floating at the top. At this point I panic, ran to my LHBS and got a Wyeast 1214. I probably should have taken a reading at this point, but I didn't. I did a 2L starter of the 1214, and pitched it the following night after about 20 hours in the ferm chamber and on the stirplate. Again, no decanting the starter. And again, no activity in the carboy. I rocked the carboy each night for the next 2-3 nights, and would get some CO2 bubbles rising, so I knew something was happening. I just took a refractometer reading (day 15) and it reads 1.024. According to the online calculators, my gravity is 1.009.

My concern/question: I basically added a full gallon (two 2L starters) of fully fermented liquid. I saw no activity and the wort/beer tastes pretty sweet to be at 1.009. Do I toss in a teaspoon of yeast nutrients, get cask yeast to pitch, or just transfer to secondary, give it a month, and then keg it?

Thanks for reading my novel and any feedback is much appreciated.

Cheers.

In my experience with this yeast, the finished beer will seem a bit sweeter. 1.009 is a pretty good finishing gravity if you calculated correctly. WLP500 wasn't as aggressive for me when fermenting either. Nothing like 530 or 540. As long as you have done your calculations correctly I'd say it's done. Transfer to secondary for 2 weeks to a month then keg. It may take some time in the keg as well. I like to give this yeast a good 3-4 months for the flavors to evolve. Those sweet flavors you are getting now will turn into dark fruit goodness.

YMMV but I really think if it's a 1.009 it's probably done.

Cheers!

Thanks for the reply. Much appreciated. I tossed it in secondary 3 days ago and will keg in a month. I'll report back then. Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back