Belgian Dubbel Temperature Fluctuations!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rph33

Reaction score
Hey,

I'm brewing an Abbey Dubbel right now using WLP 530 Abbey Ale yeast. I've read that you want to keep the temperature at like 64* to start, rising to 70* at finish.

My thermostat, however, has a mind of it's own, and has caused the temperature to fluctuate wildly in the first 3 days of fermentation.

I started the batch at about 62* (pitching) and 64* ambient temperature; on day 2, the ambient had fallen to 61*, and on day 3*, the therm had kicked the heat on and the ambient temp. had risen to 69*. It is now day 4 and I have lowered the temp back down to 65* and am planning on rising to 70* by day 7 of fermentation.

Will all these temperature fluctuations have an adverse effect on the beer? And if so, HOW adverse?

Thanks in advance.

I wouldn't expect the ambient temps in this case to make a huge difference. What were the temps of your beer during this time? For brewing Belgians you usually keep the ambient temp the same and let the yeast warm up the beer with its exothermic reactions along the way. Don't worry about it, and if you like Belgian styles or plan on brewing more, pick up "Brew Like a Monk"

The temp of 64 ramping up to 70 should be the wort temp, not the ambient. If your ambient is 64, your wort might be 74 in the center of your fermenter. Its best to monitor the wort temp and control with ice packs, or other methods.

I have a Belgian going right now. I have my fermenter down in a cooler that I control temp with ice packs. The ambient in the cooler is 55, the temp strip stuck to the side of my fermenter shows 64, and my thermometer that sticks into the wort is indicating 68 right now.

The temp of 64 ramping up to 70 should be the wort temp, not the ambient. If your ambient is 64, your wort might be 74 in the center of your fermenter. Its best to monitor the wort temp and control with ice packs, or other methods.
So it could easily be much warmer on the inside? When a recipe says to ferment at 65F, it actually means the inside temperature? How can you make sure to keep the inside at a certain temp when the ambient temp is different? I've got a digital thermometer with a fixed stainless probe, and when I place the tip on the side of my fermenter (outside) it reads 67.5 F. Trying to keep it around 65F.

So it could easily be much warmer on the inside? When a recipe says to ferment at 65F, it actually means the inside temperature? How can you make sure to keep the inside at a certain temp when the ambient temp is different? I've got a digital thermometer with a fixed stainless probe, and when I place the tip on the side of my fermenter (outside) it reads 67.5 F. Trying to keep it around 65F.

I wouldn't be overly concerned with your temps, they're not too far off. I would just ensure the temp is maintained at this point, and leave it in fermenter an extra week or two.

Yeah, the yeast itself generates heat, so the temp is always higher in the center of the wort. When I posted yesterday I was showing 64 on the outside of my primary, and 68 inside. This morning it is still reading 64 on the outside, but now is 70 on the inside. I have a thermometer that sticks into the wort from the lid of my primary. I think most others just keep in mind that the temp is higher inside and adjust accordingly from exterior temps.

Just something to keep in mind on the next batch. My first two batches were not good, and I attributed it to the fact that I didnt even check temps. I probably had 80-85 deg internal temps on those :eek:

just and update this morning on how temp can be different.

My therm on the outside of the primary is now reading 65. Internal is 74. Delta is 9 deg f. between the middle and outside.

stats so far (first temp is outside of primary, second is internal, third is delta):
today
65 74 9

24 hours ago
64 72 8

48 hours ago
64 68 4

I just brewed by first Dubbel on saturday and it took off and foamed out of the airlock two days in a row. 12 hours after pitching my therm on the out side read 70ish. I placed the carboy in my brew pot (15 gal) and add some cool tap water to get the temp on the outside therm down to 66-68. I left it in the water to help draw the heat out and it has stayed around 66-68.

Should I be a little colder than 68 on the outside stick on therm?

I just bottled my Dbl Belgian and I kept it between 68 to start and 72 in the final stages on the stick on thermometer and it turned out just fine. From what I read I though that Belgians like it a little warm around 70ish.

Back