Belgian Dubbel Recipe - Need Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregblatz

Reaction score
I just wanted to get some feedback on my first Dubbel. When I put this into BeerSmith, my SRM goes haywire at 27.8! I think this is because my dark belgian sugar is rated at a lovibond of 275. When I back it out, the SRM calculates at 10.3. I think this is a calculation error and I think that my recipe is reasonable for a typical Dubbel. Let me know what you think!

11.5# - 2-row
.5# - caramunich (48srm)
.25# - dingeman special b (145srm)
1# belgian dark candi sugar
1oz sterling 60min (6%)
1oz sterling 1min (6%)
WLP550
66% efficiency

I have not had reliable results with Beersmiths color calculation. It probably matters if you are using the rock type candi sugar vs the soft vs the syrup. I have no idea which one will contribute the most color however.

As far as the recipe goes, I would think about a little more Special B or other dark crystal to get a little more of that carmel-y goodness in a dubbel. I am by no means an expert on dubbels though. Have only made one myself (used 1 lb Special B).

ProMash tells me 27.3 SRM, which tells me the software's not off - your expectations are. ;) A pound of anything that's 275°L in 5 gallons will increase your color drastically. It's not a calculation error at all.

Rock Belgian Candisuiker is 275°L. The brown soft Belgian sugar available from Northern Brewer is 60°L. The syrups range from 0 to 80°L.

That said, your recipe is a reasonably typical Dubbel. I've always used Pils and Dark Candi in my Dubbel. That's it! The sugar provides the color and some flavor. Otherwise, it's a vehicle for Wyeast 3787. :D Looking at the BJCP guide, I don't like their rather arbitrary SRM limits. 17 is too low for something like Corsendonk, Pater Lieven or Stoudt's.

I say stick with the Dark Candisuiker and be damned the SRM!

Bob

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. I think I am pretty happy with the recipe, so I'll just let her buck without modifications.
Originally it was a brewday schedule to use up my leftover grains. but the next thing you know I'm making a dubbel - go figure:)

Thanks again,
Greg

I would add some Munich or Aromatic, just to increase some of the malty character. But yes, it is a vehicle for the yeast, and you can get a surprisingly complex beer from just pils, sugar, and yeast if you so desire.

Back