Belgian Dry Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metic

Reaction score
I'm planning a recipe inspired by a beer I've never actually tasted, De La Senne's Stouterik. My idea is to take a basic dry Irish Stout recipe and ferment it with Wyeast 3522 (Ardennes) in the mid-60s. I've found that this yeast is fairly subdued at this temperature, and it can add a pleasant tartness that might echo the lactic twang people talk about in Guinness.

My basic recipe, first time round, will be something like this:

O.G. 1.040

68% Maris Otter
20% Flaked Barley
8% Roasted Barley
2% Chocolate

Hopped to 35-40 IBUs with Fuggles, probably with some added for aroma near flame-out.

Based on that first attempt, I may tweak the roasted grains and perhaps add a small percentage of dark crystal malt.

Anyway, I'm fairly set on my first recipe, but I'm wondering if anyone else has brewed something along these lines, or has tried Stouterik and can tell me more about it.

I got round to brewing this the other day. Basically followed the recipe I posted above, but increased the chocolate malt to 3%. I also finally got to try the De la Senne beer, which was delicious, but I don't know how similar it will be to this one.

For anyone else who decides to brew something like this, there's a post on my blog about it, and I'll follow up here and on there with tasting notes once its done.

Why not do a small portion of sour mash? Thats what Guiness does and blends it...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

I may try that at some point in the future. I actually have a sour brown beer that would be perfect for it, but in this batch I wanted to try a straightforward recipe.

Back