Belgian cork wire hoods

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TristanLowery

Reaction score
I recently purchased a bag of wire hoods to be used for restraining Belgian-style corks from my LHBS. I assumed I was getting the same product I'd twisted off many commercially-made beers that use these closures, but they seem more brittle and made of thinner gauge wire; they twist on fine but usually snap when I unwind them to open the bottle, which means I have to tin-snip the rest off the cork. There are worse things in life to complain about but it is annoying.

I've noticed the wire hoods I bought are "silver" with "gold" caps, while most commercial hoods feature black or gold wires of a noticably thicker and stronger gauge. I checked both Northern Brewer and Rebel Brewer and their sites show photos of the same hoods I bought at the LHBS. Anyone have any idea where to get more durable wire hoods or know where commercial brewers are getting them?

Thanks in advance!

I got mine from NB. They work fine. I believe the standard number of turns is 7 half turns. If you're twisting more than that, it may be the source of your problem.

I've had several of those wire cork cages twist and break on me when freeing a Belgian. Delerium Noel is a bad one for that.

I've noticed the wire hoods I bought are "silver" with "gold" caps, while most commercial hoods feature black or gold wires of a noticably thicker and stronger gauge. I checked both Northern Brewer and Rebel Brewer and their sites show photos of the same hoods I bought at the LHBS. Anyone have any idea where to get more durable wire hoods or know where commercial brewers are getting them?

Thanks in advance!

Honestly, the commercial Belgians really vary on their cages...I've had black wired ones, gold wired, silver wired, etc. I've also had quite a few ones just like mine - silver wires with gold caps.

I've used NB ones and did not have the problem you have. I usually do the 6 half-turns and do not re-use the wires. I have a feeling that if you re-use them, the multiple twisting and untwisting will weaken the wires.

I don't get on here often enough. Turns out - pun most certainly intended - I've been twisting the loop too many times, as was suggested. Six, seven, or even eight half-turns has been working for me lately, depending on how deep the cork is set, but much fewer than the way I'd been cranking them before. I also picked up the wire tightening swivel tool, which affords much faster and more facile twisting than using a pen or what-have-you. Thanks for the help though.

Back