Belgian Candy Syrup and Candi Sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pacebrew

Reaction score
What is the difference between candy syrup and candi sugar.

What is the difference between amber candi sugar and regular candi sugar.

I know that candi sugar is sucrose, but why differentiate it by calling it amber?

I've used white and dark candi before and the difference between the two is caramelization, the dark has a nutty, treacly flavour. So i would assume that the difference is a slight caramelization on the amber.

Different colors have different flavor components related to how hot they have been cooked.

You can find regular candi sugar/syrup which is usually clear to a light yellow, amber, which is amber-red, and dark, which is dark brown to black.

For my first Belgium dubbel (2001), I used a commercially made "rock candy" but have since turned to making by my own. Simple to do and keeping with the "craft" aspect of making my own beer. Having never used a syrup, I can see the upside of a syrup is ease by which it would dissolve. With rock candy I try to make sure no chunks sit on the bottom of my brew kettle and burn.

Latest posts

Back