Belgian Candi Sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imtrashed

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Waste of money? If a recipe calls for 2lbs clear candi sugar, can I just substitute 2lbs white table sugar? Would there be any difference in the final product?

Yes, yes, no.

I think it's ridiculous to buy that stuff.

The Joke on us is, "Belgian candi sugar" is really just whatever sugar the monks and Belgian brewers bought in bulk, then inverted and boiled down to whatever darkness they wanted in their beer.

It's not a special magical sugar, grown for them by secret society of castrated elves specially for the monks to brew beer with. It was whatever was reasonably priced in bulk. More often than not it was beet, but it could have been cane, depending on what traders had for them...but "Belgian Candi Sugar" is really just "the sugar that the belgians happened to use." And to me, buying overpriced sugar is ridiculus, especially when you can make your own. I think that the original Belgian Monks would laugh at us silly American homebrewers who pay 3 times as much for it from the LHBS, when we can buy it from bulk food warehouse.

Graham Sanders on the aussie craft brewer radio first brought it up with one of those authors of Beligian Style books, can't recall who.

We've been discussing it for years.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/quick-interesting-read-dubbels-99971/

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/candi-sugar-necessity-148786/

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/candi-syrup-all-out-stock-128960/#post1445241

And many even argue that if you're just using "clear" cadi sugar or syrup, then just dump it directly in the kettle, since the sugar theoretically inverts itself during the boil. If you are using darker grades in your recipes, then inverting them with a little cream of tartar, citric acid, lemon juice or vinegar, and pre carmalizing them to the level you want is a good idea. There are "recipes" for making candi in both rock and syryp form. It's really easy. No harder than making Candy.

I think the original Belgian brewers would laugh if they knew how much we silly american homebrewrs actually pay for supposed "gourmet brewing sugar." They sure as heck wouldn't pay what we do. :)

I think Revvy is oversimplifying a little. If you have time to read a bunch, THIS THREAD has a lot to say about the Malliard reactions that happen at higher temperatures and the flavor profiles they cause.

I've made my own dark belgian candi syrup and have been amazed at the depth of flavor you can get for a fraction of the cost of buying D2 from a LHBS.

I'm using Chinese Rock Sugar, (Golden Lion Brand) in place of clear candi sugar and it adds more complexity then refined sugar and its less then $1 per pound. It a goodsugar source when making your own candi sugar.

According to Brew Like a Monk, plain sugar works fine instead of the clear rocks.

It is the darker ones and the syrup that is different.

I'm gonna revive this with a question. I've read up a bit on the sugars and haven't gotten a clear idea as far as flavor for the dark. I get access to free brewing supplies and picked up a pound of light and a pound of dark today. It's understood that it is sucrose and will ferment out nearly completely if clear but what is the contribution of dark? Does it leave residual sweetness or perception of sweetness? Is there toffee, caramel, or dried fruit characters sometimes found in abbey ales?

I'm making 15 gallons tomorrow and wonder if I should add these at all.

Pilsner 42%
Vienna 33%
Flaked Oats 10%
Flaked wheat 6%

wlp300 hefeweizen
wlp410 beglian wit II

add candi syrup during fermentation will give you different flavors...making your own is great

The long and short of it id the light is just sugar the dark adds significant character

That thread Paps sent is great! That was the info I was looking for. I know fermentable sugar is just glucose to yeast but Im interested to try the recipes provided to make syrup from cane, beet, and apple sugars to compare what is left behind or converted by yeast metabolism.

All helpful stuff folks, thanks!

Back