Belgian Blond Ale - Brewing Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sabimkbrewer

Reaction score
Hello, brewing a Belgian Blonde Ale (see LINK Below). Rookie question

How much water to start boiling. Also I don't understand the Boil part that it says 'Fill the Kettle to a pre-boil volume of 2.49 gal (10qt)" I only have the 5 gallons simple kettle for brewing. :confused:

Mash
- When strike water is ready, submerge grain bag and begin mash.
- Place lid on kettle and ensure temperature is maintained.
- Mash complete, remove grain bag from kettle.

Boil
- Fill kettle to a pre-boil volume of 2.49 gal (10 qt).
- Set kettle to high heat.

http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/249019/blonde

thank you !!

Mk

Hello, brewing a Belgian Blonde Ale (see LINK Below). Rookie question

How much water to start boiling. Also I don't understand the Boil part that it says 'Fill the Kettle to a pre-boil volume of 2.49 gal (10qt)" I only have the 5 gallons simple kettle for brewing. :confused:

Mash
- When strike water is ready, submerge grain bag and begin mash.
- Place lid on kettle and ensure temperature is maintained.
- Mash complete, remove grain bag from kettle.

Boil
- Fill kettle to a pre-boil volume of 2.49 gal (10 qt).
- Set kettle to high heat.

http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/249019/blonde

thank you !!

Mk

You entered that your boil size will be 3 gallons. So that 2.49 gallons is what the calculator is estimating that you we need to add after the mash. (taking into consideration what the grains will soak up).

My advice, ignore it. You have 5 pounds of grains. Using a well recognized water to grain ration of 1.25L/pound of grain that gives you 6.25L or 1.56 gallons for your mash.

Once your done mashing, and grains are removed, top off with as much water as you know you will be able to boil with. Boil, Cool, dump in the fermenter, and top off to 5 gallons, aerate/oxygenate, and add your yeast

You entered that your boil size will be 3 gallons. So that 2.49 gallons is what the calculator is estimating that you we need to add after the mash. (taking into consideration what the grains will soak up).

My advice, ignore it. You have 5 pounds of grains. Using a well recognized water to grain ration of 1.25L/pound of grain that gives you 6.25L or 1.56 gallons for your mash.

Once your done mashing, and grains are removed, top off with as much water as you know you will be able to boil with. Boil, Cool, dump in the fermenter, and top off to 5 gallons, aerate/oxygenate, and add your yeast

thanks for the advised.

For Priming I'm thinking to go with DME 4.5 oz
http://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/

Brewing as I type this, this instructions do not tell me how long for the mash, reading some articles folks mash for 30 minutes for this type of brew?

thank you!!

Mk.

30 minutes is relatively short, and if you aren't familiar with your normal efficiency when mashing then I would stick with the standard 60 minutes for mashing

So... Just checking in and sorry that I didn't reply to your last post. Everything go ok?

It went well, It took almost 1 hour to get to rolling boil, maybe is my kettle. Right now is in fermentation process.

Question, my instructions does not say how many days for fermentation, so if someone have done this brew, suggestions fermentation-carbonation (I will be using bottles) ?

thank you !

Two weeks fermentation should do it. Do you have a hydrometer to take gravity samples? Are you planning to rack to a secondary? (I would say a secondary is not necessary for this beer) give it at least a week to carb before you open your first bottle to drink. Two weeks or longer for best results

Back