Belgian beer yeast for mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Synaster

Reaction score
I am curious if anyone has done this, What were the results? I would like to try but if its just going to ruin it then Id rather not waste either.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks.

If you do this, consider a hopped mead, maybe? What's the ABV range on the yeast? If it's specialized for beers, your mead may be a little lower abv and possibly too sweet. Depends on the recipe.

I was inspired to do this a year ago when I had a mead from a local brew pub where they used the yeast they normally ferment their Belgian Triple with.

Here's what I cam up with...

1 Gallon
2 lbs. Clover honey
5 oz raisins
1 vial WLP500
OG 1.070
FG 1.002

I sampled a bottle a month or so ago and it was just alright. The version I had at the pub was carbed in the keg and I think that had to do a lot with why I enjoyed it. Also I think it may have been back sweetened.

I did a "belgeglin" a while back...metheglin with bitter orange peel and corriander using Wyeast 3711...came out pretty good, although in retrospect the 1 oz each of the spices was a bit much even for a 6 gal batch...

Many Belgian yeasts are fully capable of fermenting a mid to high ABV mead...I took 3711 to 12.6% (it's rated to 12%)...

I did a "belgeglin" a while back...metheglin with bitter orange peel and corriander using Wyeast 3711...came out pretty good, although in retrospect the 1 oz each of the spices was a bit much even for a 6 gal batch...

Many Belgian yeasts are fully capable of fermenting a mid to high ABV mead...I took 3711 to 12.6% (it's rated to 12%)...
Hey Biochemedic- new here, background in home winemaking. Wanting to attempt something like your 'belgeglin' in the fall- I have some local honey and will have some local meyer lemons soon. Would you be willing to share your recipe/notes? I'll probably start with a 1 gal batch.

I was inspired to do this a year ago when I had a mead from a local brew pub where they used the yeast they normally ferment their Belgian Triple with.

Here's what I cam up with...

1 Gallon
2 lbs. Clover honey
5 oz raisins
1 vial WLP500
OG 1.070
FG 1.002

I sampled a bottle a month or so ago and it was just alright. The version I had at the pub was carbed in the keg and I think that had to do a lot with why I enjoyed it. Also I think it may have been back sweetened.

I did a session mead w/ a belgian ale at 2.25# honey and 1 gal water, w/ a 1.02 FG.

Just a matter of doing your calcs up front properly

I thought it was good, and simple and reliable for a session mead. Although i agree that session meads have a better mouth feel when carbonated, otherwise, they feel a little one-dimensional. But i don't have the capacity to carbonate.

I typically reserve ale yeasts for intentionally lower abv meads.

Back