Belgian Beer - Adding Sugar to the Fermenter Instead of the Boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bassman2003

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,

I brewed a Belgian Blond today with WY1214 and decided to add my Florida Crystals sugar in the fermenter instead of the last five minutes of the boil. My concern is if the wort is going to foam up when I inject the sugar solution through the airlock hole? I tried to add sugar to keg that was waning on spunding velocity and it turned into a volcano. Any tips? I have read to wait until Krausen falls but I am mainly focused on avoiding a science project. Thanks!

My concern is if the wort is going to foam up when I inject the sugar solution through the airlock hole?

I've added sugar (in various forms) to fermenting beer at high krausen and have never seen a violent reaction. There's just not that much CO2 in solution, I suppose.

I add all my sugar solutions to the fermenter. I keep an eye on the temp and when the fermentation can no longer keep it at the temp it reached on a free rise I add it , give it a swirl and have never had an eruption. Unless I'm listening to Eddie (RIP).

Would you suggest cooling the sugar solution or not?

Personally, I would let it cool to room temp, or close to it. The temperature impact the hot sugar solution would have on the fermenting wort would depend on both of the volumes and temps (and even on the heat capacity of the fermenter). All of that can be computed, but it's really simpler IMO to let it cool down.

Thanks for your replies. I will cool it to room temps and possibly add it in multiple squirts of the 150ml syringe just be safe. I have a SS fermenter, so I will not know until it is too late if it goes too far.

Back