Belgian Ale - flavor description

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimelessCynic

Reaction score
So i made a duvel clone not having a real understanding of what a belgian ale is supposed to taste like. I am pleased with it. I used a lot of sugar and 1366 wyeast. It has a flavor that reminds me of the taste of blood. Like when you bite your lip by accident or have your gums bleed. I thought this flavor was an off flavor when i first tasted it. I'm drinking a pint of palm speciale belgian ale at bar now. And it has a very similar flavor. I guess i got something right. What is the 'blood' flavor usually described as?

It's described as metallic. This can come from your kettle if you brew in an aluminum pot that is not prepared. So if you used a new pot. Sometimes it can come from bottle caps.

Yes metallic. And i do brew with aluminium but never noticed this flavor in 20 batches. I think it is how a belgian should taste based on the belgian i just drank at the bar.

iron will also give your beer a blood-like taste.

metallic, or bloody, isn't a traditional belgian taste. pick up a duvel at the store if you can and compare. if it still tastes metallic or blood-like to you maybe that's just how you perceive belgian esters?

I can't think of any style in which a metallic flavor would be desirable. If I brewed a Belgian, or any other style for that matter, any noticeable metallic off-flavor would be considered a flaw.

Are you sure what you're tasting is not clove, rather than metallic?

The beer is good. I'm not great at making tasting notes. It isn't a sharp metallic taste. Just a faint note and a similarity to metallic. I'm gonna buy some more belgian ales and taste.

(Excess) carbonation (carbonic acid) can give the illusion of metallic tastes too. People's tasting thresholds vary widely and once you've learned to recognize certain (off-)flavors, those thresholds seemingly plummet.

This maybe a personal experience, and I'm not sure if it can be proven, but beers with higher sulphate levels don't taste metallic to me.

I get that metallic taste from Palm as well, but it isn't typical of Belgian ales in general. Duvel in particular has a very clean taste.

Back