Belgian Ale Fermentation temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lando

Reaction score
So I am going to attempt my first brew tomorrow (True Brew Belgian Ale kit) and wanted to know if 57-60 degrees is too cool for my fermentation?

I have had a bucket of water sitting in the place where I plan on leaving the bucket for fermentation in my basement bathroom for the past few days and that has been the temp fluctuation. My concern is that this is too cold for the ale.

My other option is to place my space heater with a temp control setting in the bathroom to maintain the temp if needed. We do not use this bathroom anyway. I have kept a foam insulating pad under the bucket to keep the ground from zapping the heat, but the bucket themometer still reads in the 56-60 degree range. It just tends to stay cool down there.
Thanks for the help. :)

What strain of yeast are you using? Most of the yeast companies have ideal fermentation temps listed for each strain on their websites, if not on the yeast packaging.

My source was a homebrew supply store that had the info posted, so I trust yours (straight from the manufacturer) more. Then again, you did typo on the low end temp. Website says 59, not 50. :p

Back