Belgian Dubbel Belgian Abbey Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spyk'd

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 1214
Yeast Starter
Yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Belgian Abbey Ale

Grain:
10.67 lbs. American 2-Row Malt
1 lbs. Munich Malt
1 oz. Chocolate Malt

60 minute mash @ 154.

Hops:
1 oz. Willamette @ 60 minutes
1 oz. Willamette @ 15 minutes

Whole leaf hops.

Yeast:
Wyeast # 1214 Belgian Abbey

I just put an abbye ale in the primary about an hour ago. I was wondering how long you let yours stay in the primary? And then how long in the secondary....or did you go straight to bottle conditioning?
thanks!
glenn

Hi Spyk'd. Thanks for posting the recipe.

7 days primary fermentation and 14 days secondary fermentation.

Now my question is... for bottle conditioning. What kind of sugar and yeast to add to prime and then bottle. How long to bottle at what temperature?

Thanks again.

Brewed this over a week ago. I'm holding it between 75-77F. I'm going to leave it in the primary for 3 weeks before bottling it. Only add corn sugar to prime it, you shouldn't need any yeast added to prime it.

Tested at week 2 FG so far is 1.012. Taste test is very smooth, looks like a Belgian should, reminds me of blue moon without the orange and coriander.
I think I am going to add orange peel and coriander in a hop bag right to the primary for a week to see what kind of taste that will produce. I just have to find coriander seed.

154 mash temp is probably not going to dry out much if that is your goal. Most of my Belgian recipes are written to mash at 147-148. Looks like you are making a blonde or Belgian pale right? I'll bet this will end around 1.014-1.012. Sounds good.

coming soon...to a fridge near you!

I think I just found my next brew. I'm just a partial mash brewer for now so I'll have to do some conversions but this one sounds amazing.

---Chris

I just brewed this, thanks for the recipe.

I only did 3 modifications:
First, a 3 step mash, which lasted around 70 minutes.

Second, as I use Kg and Gr (metric), I rounded up a bit the quantities.
Instead of 4.8Kg and 450gr grain, I used 5Kg and 500gr.

I got 20L at 1062 and according to Beersmith it's 70%eff, which surprises me as I usually get around 60-65. Maybe it's because of the mash.

In any case, I'll post how it turns out in about 6-8 weeks, after fermentation, resting, and bottling.

Couple of newbie questions: 1 - All the batches I've made have had a malt extract ingredient, but I notice this one does not. Am I missing something, or does the amount of grains make up for what the malt extract would provide?

2 - Question on the timing - is it steep for 60 minutes, remove the grains, and then boil as is adding the hops at 60 and 15?

3 - Wyeast goes into the boil? I've never encountered that before, always waited for it to cool down before adding yeast.

Thanks very much.

This is an all-grain recipe, no extract. All the sugars come from the grain.

Sort of like a steep, but it's actually a mash where the temp of the grain is held at a very precise temp (154°F) for the duration, usually 60 minutes or so until the starches in the grain convert to sugars. You are correct with respect to the timing of the hops additions.

No, yeast does not go into the boil. The wort is cooled as usual before yeast is pitched.

Thanks, LL - appreciate it. Love learning all this new stuff.

I figured out where I was going wrong on the yeast - I was ordering from Austin Home Brew and on the Wyeast description page they were suggesting I add a Yeast Fuel - that's what goes in with 15 minutes left of the boil.

shadows69 said:
Brewed this over a week ago. I'm holding it between 75-77F. I'm going to leave it in the primary for 3 weeks before bottling it. Only add corn sugar to prime it, you shouldn't need any yeast added to prime it.

So did you add the corn sugar direct to the primary prior to bottling?

I first drained the wort of the yeast into another bucket then, add your corn sugar and stir slowly. Now you can bottle and cap.

The reason I drained the wort off the yeast is I didn't want an to much yeast in the bottle at pouring time. There will be planty in the bottle to carb.

How'd this turn out?

Another "How'd this turn out?"

Sorry for the late response...been gone awhile.

This recipe is one of my favorites. It's on perma-rotation.

I messed up the original post though. Looking at my log, the grain bill should have been 11.67 American Two-Row. I bet some people were wondering where I got my OG.

Another note: You can ferment higher than 70° if you desire more phenols. It definitely would be in style. I like it a bit cleaner.

Thanks for your interest!

Just plugged this one to beersmith, I'll have to give this one a whirl here over the next several months. Looks interesting,......

What kind of flavors should this be pulling, banana-y or more like rum/raisin?

So I Brewer this, and absolutely love it. It has been bottled for a bit over a week, and gives me that distinct Belgian blonde/gold taste and feel. Well done! I'm gonna brew it again, and possibly add some additions such as orange, coriander, etc. great base recipe!

I'm pulling a bit banana, but I fermented at a lower temp and have only conditioned for a weekish.

Back