Belgian Abbey Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shadows69

Reaction score
Belgian Abbey Ale
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.062
Final Gravity: 1.008
IBU: 24
Boiling Time (Minutes): 70
Color: 12
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14

Belgian Abbey Ale

Grain:
10.67 lbs. American 2-Row Malt
1 lbs. Munich Malt
1 oz. Chocolate Malt

60 minute mash @ 154.

Hops:
1 oz. Willamette @ 60 minutes
1 oz. Willamette @ 15 minutes

Whole leaf hops.

Yeast:
Wyeast # 1214 Belgian Abbey (only have Wyeast 1056)

Any ideas how to brew this? I have two 5 gals pots. I don't think 10.67 lbs. grain is going to fit in a 5 gal pot.

no mash turn. I was think of just splitting everything in half and make it as if I was making two smaller batches to get to the 5 gal. mark.

shadows69, look into "Brew in a Bag." Without the toys like a mash tun it's really your only way to go all grain. Splitting it between two pots would be fine. Don't use a secondary. And if you want to brew Belgian styles, you NEED to use Belgian yeast. Most of the flavors come from yeast-derived byproducts and really can't be duplicated otherwise.

+ 1 on the Belgian yeast.

Chocolate malt is not common in a Abbey, though for the last dubbel that I brewed I could not get special b so I added a little chocolate malt. It turned out wonderful.

Perhaps you can replaced some of your grain bill with extract.

Also, Belgians typically use sugar as around 10% of the fermentables, it makes a higher ABV but gives a low final gravity.

hmmm My local home brewer didn't have Belgian yeast. He said that the 1056 was the equal counter part so to speak of yeast he sold me. I guess I should hold out alittle till i can get some Belgian yeast? Maybe get some extract as well. I assume this would be a light extract? As for the Chocolate malt, it's only 1oz so i think it would only give it a hint of Chocolate. Again I am assuming, i'm still pretty new at this whole brewing thing. Brew in a Bag? can you point me to a link on this?
Thanks for all of the help!

shadows69 said:
hmmm My local home brewer didn't have Belgian yeast. He said that the 1056 was the equal counter part so to speak of yeast he sold me.

wow. that's about as far off as can be. Sounds like he just wanted to sell you what he had, not what you needed for your beer. Itll make beer, and itll be good I'm sure, but it won't be Belgian by any means. Not even close.

Looking at what you have in your original post, you should be able to make a great American Pale Ale. I would go ahead and brew it, just drop the whole Belgium Abbey thing.

The Chocolate malt would make it dark, you may consider leaving it out.

American Pale Ale if i just drop the Chocolate malt? That sounds like a plan. I would hate to waste all this grain which i need to use. Any ideas on what my Original Gravity and Final Gravity should be? Thanks cfonnes for the link info. I may of misunderstood what you said at first but that is the way I just brewed my Milk Oatmeal Stout and is the way I plan on doing this one as well. Thanks zman for the link as well...says if I use 1.5 gal of water i can do 10.67 of gain. Can you mesh with only 1.5gal of water? Do you think i need anything else in the besides what is in the recipe minus the chocolate??

Let me share something that I have found about a good Belgian yeast...

I brewed a beer with 8# pilsner, 4# Belgian 2-row, + vanguard hops. I added a White Labs Belgian yeast and have an amazing tripel. Keep it simple.

Less is more. Let the yeast do the work, drink the beer and then tweak later.

Back