Belgain IPA - hops use up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rivenin

Reaction score
Using up hops in my freezer as 2nd kid is due soon and don't know when i'll be using them.... figuring may as well blow most of them in a batch.

10 g batch

1.068 > 1.010 or so

12lb 2row
5lb munich 1
2lb cane sugar
2lb wheat
-------------------------
2oz nugget @60
2oz belma @10
1oz calypso @5
2oz calypso @WP 20 minutes
1.5oz centennial @WP 20 minutes

2oz cascade @dh 5 days
1oz belma @dh 5 days
--------------------------
5g will get Wyeast 3944
5g will get S-05

i do however, think there should be more hops... so when i pick up the grains, i might pick up 2-4oz of Amarillo and toss them in at the 5 minute mark and whirlpool 2oz and DH the rest just to try and accent the hops more vs the belgain yeast. and to give the S-05 more of a punch.

Votes? Ideas? Theories?

I would add any extra hops you have to the whirlpool additions. Looks pretty solid to me. I'd switch Belma to a whirlpool addition too though. I love that soft strawberry flavor it can give

changed it up a bit - this is for next weekend

14lb - 2row
5lb - munich
2lb - white wheat
2lb - cane sugar
3oz - acid malt (ph correction)

2oz - nugget @60
.6oz - columbus @60 (using up all the hops!)
2oz - belma @5
1oz - calypso @5
---
2oz - citra @WP 20 min
2oz - calypso @WP 20 min
1.5oz - centennial @WP 20 min
----
2oz - citra @DH 5 days
2oz - cascade @DH 5 days
1oz - belma @DH 5 days

Calcium - 134
Sodium - 30 (baking soda to add alkalinity... cannot locate pickling lime)
Sulfate - 221
Chloride - 81
Alkalinity - 73

--------

56 IBU

7.3% ABV

Lots of ways to play around with the hop additions but I think the recipe looks good. I don't understand why you are adding both acid and alkalinity though.

i've never been given a straight answer on that - want to raise alkalinity to accentuate the hops on top of the sulfate, but i need to drop the PH a bit - whats the easiest way to do this?

I've not heard of an effect on flavor by alkalinity/bicarbonate except as it impacts pH (at least if I am understanding Martin's explanation on the Bru'n water page, where most of my limited water knowledge comes from). If pH is the issue then it makes no sense to me to add in alkalinity then turn around and correct it with acid. I would post the question in the brew science forum and get good answers from the water guys.

Back